g22 serious question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

g22 serious question

k guys have quick question, what are the gains and loss on me putting a G22, (h22 head-f22 block) ??? i mean the f22 has low compression pistons but the h22 head has vtec, at least i think it does lol but yea what are my gains and loss, cause this guy is selling one for 300, with intake mani, cams, valves, everything a head has, but should i go for it or should i stay with my f22 head/???? thanks guys!!! i appreicate it, o and if i put the h22 head would i hit vtec with proper ecu and tuning?? thanks, and sorry for all the questions!!! thanks members

What have you done to your motor to get 161whp out of it?
    I find it a little odd that you were able to get that much power out of an F22A1 (almost a 60whp gain over stock F22A1) but are asking about an H22 headswap?

To answer your question, yes you would have VTEC but you would need to wire it and get a chipped P28 and have it tuned for your engine.

Comment

vtec would hit hard yo!

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

According to the csgnetwork.com engine calculator using the H22 head on a stock F22A1 bottom end would yield a compression ratio of 8.45 to 1 and with stock CR being 8.8 to 1 you would have a net gain of -.35 to 1 compression . I don't know if it's enough of a drop to feel , but definitely going backwards unless you plan some type of forced induction along with the head swap . The lower compression ratio is due to the H22 heads combustion chamber volume being 53.8 cc and the stock F22A1 being a smaller 50.5cc , plus the extra space created when using an H22 head gasket with a 88mm bore instead of the F22A1's 85.5mm . Lower compression is great with forced induction , but not normally the goal on N/A engines . BUT , those V TEC valve covers look really cool .
        THIS
        VS
        THIS

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
          What have you done to your motor to get 161whp out of it?
          I find it a little odd that you were able to get that much power out of an F22A1 (almost a 60whp gain over stock F22A1) but are asking about an H22 headswap?

To answer your question, yes you would have VTEC but you would need to wire it and get a chipped P28 and have it tuned for your engine.
          what i done to the engine is:
          Web high performance racing cams
          h23 intake mani and ram
          4-2-1 headers
          2.25 exhaust
          p12 ecu
          ngk v-power plugs and wires
          bullfrog throttle body
          high flow cat
          and that bout it... what u think?

Comment

search for a faq on this forum, and honda-tech forum. import tuner magazine did an article about this motor being better than K series swap (cheaper)

Be Clean

Comment

Originally posted by dksix View Post
              According to the csgnetwork.com engine calculator using the H22 head on a stock F22A1 bottom end would yield a compression ratio of 8.45 to 1 and with stock CR being 8.8 to 1 you would have a net gain of -.35 to 1 compression . I don't know if it's enough of a drop to feel , but definitely going backwards unless you plan some type of forced induction along with the head swap . The lower compression ratio is due to the H22 heads combustion chamber volume being 53.8 cc and the stock F22A1 being a smaller 50.5cc , plus the extra space created when using an H22 head gasket with a 88mm bore instead of the F22A1's 85.5mm . Lower compression is great with forced induction , but not normally the goal on N/A engines . BUT , those V TEC valve covers look really cool .
              This sums up most of the talking points pretty well.
              Any further points I can think of would just be difficulty of install. Also, get ready to hear about the F22aX not being able to rev safely in the happy range of VTEC. Once VTEC hits, you'll be beyond the block's redline of 6500 rpm in no time.

Originally posted by pedroalcala View Post
              Web high performance racing cams
              h23 intake mani and ram
              4-2-1 headers
              2.25 exhaust
              p12 ecu
              ngk v-power plugs and wires
              bullfrog throttle body
              high flow cat
              That's a lot of power for those mods.
              Remember that when you switch to the H22 head, you'll be losing your primary horsepower getters, namely your TB, IM, cams, and exhaust manifold.

When you consider the amount of money you put into those parts, and then think about the fact that a healthy complete H22 only puts down 165-175 whp, then its questionable if the swap is the right choice. A G22 most likely isn't going to be putting down 165, due to compression loss compared to the H22 block, AND you're almost at 165 as is.

If I were you, I'd want to continue building the F22. It's a rare N/A build that can shut up a lot of naysayers in a hurry. But, if you're thinking about taking the project in another direction w/ the H swap, I certainly support a new direction and the new learning that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                This sums up most of the talking points pretty well.
                Any further points I can think of would just be difficulty of install. Also, get ready to hear about the F22aX not being able to rev safely in the happy range of VTEC. Once VTEC hits, you'll be beyond the block's redline of 6500 rpm in no time.
                Tell me more of this . Considering I'm already heavily vested in this G22 build , it is too late to turn back . What RPM limit is there for an F22A1 bottom end ? And where is the V TEC activated normally on a G22 ? Is there anything that should be done to better the rev disadvantage of an F22 bottom end ?

Comment

I just recently purchased my 93 EX and had to some work to get it up and running. but she runs great now.
                  Now i am thinking of finding that extra HP and performance. Since i got on this site i have had nothing but friendly people and great help. I have been very interested in doing the G22 or G23 head swap. Till now i have been thinking keeping it N/A. Can somone please either direct me to the thread that has actual numbers so that I can see what kind of advantages and disadvantages there is to doing this swap. From what i have read so far is that the G22 or G23 swap is a great Turbo build. But after what i just read above about being out of the blocks redline is this safe or should i just try to find a full h22 or h23 engine and rebuild it.

Please dont think im trying to thread jack please send me a private message or you can leave the information here in this thread for others that may be seeking the same informaiton.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I rev my "f22a" bottom end to 8k without issues.

And that amount of power isn't a lot for the mods. It probably comes from the cam.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

so put k20 pistons on the f22 rods.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        so put k20 pistons on the f22 rods.
                        he hit it right on the head with one and also use the f22 crank if you have the right block you would have a one heck of a stroker motor

Comment

And that amount of power isn't a lot for the mods. It probably comes from the cam.[/QUOTE]

yes very true i've have heard that some cams can even give you 60hp gain on the motor guessing its true!! lol

Comment

Working...
                          X