H23a or F22b?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23a or F22b?

My brother in law needs an engine and wants an upgrade, wich engine has more horse power? h23a dual cam, f22b dual cam, both are non vtec. and wich one is the easier swap? as far as changing computers and wireing in a knock sensor..

they are about 99% the same swap. same hp rating different tq rating. the f22b doesnt need a knock sensor where the h23 does. other then that its exactly the same. as for the ecu you look for the p14 for the h23 and you can use that for the f22b as well but youd have to add the knock sensor. or you can go with the stock pt3 or pt6 which i am using and it pull harder then it does with the p14 that i have.

Comment

theres a member her in NYC selling a motor f22b for $450

Links to my rides :
      1992 Accord EX*
      1990 Accord EX
      1991 Accord SE (4th)
      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
      1991 Accord SE

Comment

As said, they are pretty simaliar the main difference would be the bore as the H23 is 87mm and the F22B is 85mm. The F22B block is the same as the F22A as well.
        3 CB's gone....
        1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Sorry i had 2 step away 4 a minute, i know any f/h tranny will work but the tranny that comes with the h23 is the same tranny they use 4 the f22b right.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyblaze2g View Post
            Sorry i had 2 step away 4 a minute, i know any f/h tranny will work but the tranny that comes with the h23 is the same tranny they use 4 the f22b right.
            M2S4 92-96 Prelude Si (H23A1) 3.307 1.857 1.320 1.034 0.812 4.266
            M2J5 92-96 Prelude Si (JDM F22B) 3.307 1.810 1.269 0.966 0.787 4.266

different gear ratios between the 2 which shows why the h23 has higher tq numbers.

Comment

does he have an internal coil or external? if internal f22b is plug and play, if external h23 is plug and play. the only thing you would have to do to convert is to swap the distributors guts. (easy 10 min swap including beverage).

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordcb7ex View Post
                M2S4 92-96 Prelude Si (H23A1) 3.307 1.857 1.320 1.034 0.812 4.266
                M2J5 92-96 Prelude Si (JDM F22B) 3.307 1.810 1.269 0.966 0.787 4.266

different gear ratios between the 2 which shows why the h23 has higher tq numbers.
                The H23's greater displacement might have something to do with the torque difference as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nucleara View Post
                  does he have an internal coil or external? if internal f22b is plug and play, if external h23 is plug and play. the only thing you would have to do to convert is to swap the distributors guts. (easy 10 min swap including beverage).
                  I think its external its a 93 ex, I think he's gona go with the f22b from tiger auto to avoid the knock sensor and get a decent engine. and just pick up a h23 tranny from the local junk yard..

Comment

both are good motors, the fact that you'll need a knock sensor to run the p14 sucks

one has bigger pistons

h23=87mm borex 95mm stroke
                    f22b=85mm borex 95mm stroke

both motors can be run on a pt3/pt6/p12 w no prblem
                    again its your choice
                    Last edited by PR CB7; 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM.
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

go with a P39 ECU....if you can find one.

and i thought the h23 had the same stroke as the f22 95mm just bigger pistons.

Comment

I think its external its a 93 ex, I think he's gona go with the f22b from tiger auto to avoid the knock sensor and get a decent engine. and just pick up a h23 tranny from the local junk yard..
                        You're awfully confident that you're going to get something good from Tiger... I wouldn't trust that company one bit. I've seen far too many turds come from them to trust them!

The motor doesn't look for the knock sensor, the ECU does. And honestly, the knock sensor is a GOOD thing, and it's not complicated to wire up. The knock sensor is one more safeguard against blowing up the motor. If it hears knock, it cuts timing, so you don't grenade the engine. The only time you want to get rid of it is if you're going with some serious modifications... and by that point, you should have a different fuel management system anyway.

The H23 is a USDM motor, so it may have high mileage and have been beaten on... since H23 equipped Preludes are well within the price range of highschool kids.

The F22B may have low mileage, but how long has it been sitting unused? A motor that's been sitting for years could require a rebuild.

Originally posted by sulimed View Post
                        Absolutely, the P39 is the correct ECU for the F22B. People act like they're hard to find... but they're really not. They're about as common in Japan as the P14 is here.

But yes, you can run the PT3/PT6/P12 for either motor and be safe, at least for a little while. I wouldn't abuse either, especially the H23, without the proper ECU, or a proper tune, though.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed View Post

and i thought the h23 had the same stroke as the f22 95mm just bigger pistons.
                          my bad

h23 and f22 cranks are the same oops
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

You're awfully confident that you're going to get something good from Tiger... I wouldn't trust that company one bit. I've seen far too many turds come from them to trust them!

Ive ordered 4 engines from them, I havent had a problem with them yet..

Comment

Ive ordered 4 engines from them, I havent had a problem with them yet..
                              Hopefully your luck holds up then!

Comment

Working...
                              X