Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22 block with an f22a6 head

can this work?
    I made a search for "h22 block" and the only related thing I found was a thread about swapping block internals, to maintain the f block. I just want to maintain a sohc head, and don't want the trouble of looking for specific h series blocks to match my journals.

What would be involved in a block only swap?

how many people have done this, and how well does it perform?
    thanks
    KB7
    Last edited by KB7; 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM.
    _

if you got the H, then why go back to the F? It probably wont work at all, and not even worth the trouble. Find a h series head and call it a day. If you wanted to keep the f series heads, then ditch the H.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      if you got the H, then why go back to the F? It probably wont work at all, and not even worth the trouble. Find a h series head and call it a day. If you wanted to keep the f series heads, then ditch the H.
      Well, this build is actually kind of interesting.

There are a couple of points as to why I would like to try this build one day.

- H22A shortblock has oil squirters, and stock is just better for revving higher.
      - H22A shortblock is much higher compression than F22A shortblock (F22A has 50cc compression dome; H22A has 53.8cc), you can control compression w/HGs
      - H22A can get extra 100cc or so of compression from the basically free F22A crank
      - F22A head has good port angles, and is damn near free

Seriously, this is one build I'd be down to try. Basically a high revving, high compression F2"3"A

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

well it sound interesting but unless you are planning on upgrading the valve train for the f...the build will be worthless....because the F isn't made to rev that high with stock components
        New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
        tsx retrofit
        f22b dohc boosted
        custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Originally posted by Gtsev[LEFT
          [/LEFT]iper;2693547]well it sound interesting but unless you are planning on upgrading the valve train for the f...the build will be worthless....because the F isn't made to rev that high with stock components
          I have personally seen a stock f head, with an f20 crank and pistons in the f22 block pulling to 8000 all the way beyond 115mph.

But even if one does not rev beyond 6800 the dramatic increase in compression would be amazing. Then with a portedd f head, with a custom cam, and perhaps upgraded springs, is it not inconceivable that this setup could equal, or exceed an H22 swapped car?
          _

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
            Well, this build is actually kind of interesting.

There are a couple of points as to why I would like to try this build one day.

- H22A shortblock has oil squirters, and stock is just better for revving higher.
            - H22A shortblock is much higher compression than F22A shortblock (F22A has 50cc compression dome; H22A has 53.8cc), you can control compression w/HGs
            - H22A can get extra 100cc or so of compression from the basically free F22A crank
            - F22A head has good port angles, and is damn near free

Seriously, this is one build I'd be down to try. Basically a high revving, high compression F2"3"A
            I expect that this must have been done before. The benefits seem so potentially high for this setup. Surely other people have thought of it before?

Although you ponder about reverting to the f22 crank, only a handful of h22 cranks have matching journals. It was in a thread I found while searching. but if you increase the stroke, my limited reading suggests that you will lower the redline. most high revving motors that i have looked at have shorter strokes.

but thats really just an observation i have made. ...
            Last edited by KB7; 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM.
            _

Comment

The F20 crank and rods is an idea I've had for awhile. Your rod/stroke ratio would be higher than a K20, second only to the F20C and B16.

Higher r/s ratio: more peak power and higher revs

Lower r/s ratio: more torque, less rpms

What is best depends on your intended use of the car.
              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                Higher r/s ratio: more peak power and higher revs

Lower r/s ratio: more torque, less rpms
                ah that makes sense with my findings between motors. and also explains why our f's are so torquey.

what is more important when trying to go from 40 mph to 90 mph the quickest, hp and high revs, or torque and low revs?

i imagine on take off torque is more important
                Last edited by KB7; 12-29-2010, 01:52 AM.
                _

Comment

Originally posted by KB7Acoord View Post
                  ah that makes sense with my findings between motors. and also explains why our f's are so torquey.

what is more important when trying to go from 40 mph to 90 mph the quickest, hp and high revs, or torque and low revs?

i imagine on take off torque is more important
                  It depends on your gearing. If you can have a flat torque curve with your peak power at the rpm range that puts you at 40 to 90mph, then that would be ideal.
                  There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                    It depends on your gearing. If you can have a flat torque curve with your peak power at the rpm range that puts you at 40 to 90mph, then that would be ideal.
                    It also depends if you are auto-x, drag racing, or want a daily commuter. A daily commuter with fast acceleration and changed gearing would be killer to gas milage on the freeway. Just look at the integra GSr's going 80 its at 4k rpm....Its not the best but it will hurt economy a bit more.
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by KB7Acoord View Post
                      I expect that this must have been done before. The benefits seem so potentially high for this setup. Surely other people have thought of it before?

Although you ponder about reverting to the f22 crank, only a handful of h22 cranks have matching journals. It was in a thread I found while searching. but if you increase the stroke, my limited reading suggests that you will lower the redline. most high revving motors that i have looked at have shorter strokes.

but thats really just an observation i have made. ...
                      Correct me if I'm wrong but all F22As and OBDI H22As have 50mm crank journals

Plus yes while the added stroke might take away some revvability, you're still getting a lot of the best of what the H/F motors have to offer. Big torque, high compression, and what I imagine will be an awesome power curve w/the right bolt ons.

I still vividly remember the power curve of my H23 IM'd F22A6. All jokes aside, while it obviously wasn't as fast, I enjoyed its power curve + sound much more than I did a mildly built H22 I had afterwards. Just pure torque from 2500-6000. The high comp H2"3" under that head revving to 7000 would be killer. Only challenge would be to find an H22 short block w/o damage. I'm still curious as to whether one can use H22 pistons in an F22 block w/o risking reliability

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                      X