f22b1 ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22b1 ?'s

who here has the f22b1 (off a '95 accord ex)? i wanna know how well it runs. im buying motor and tranny, and everything else i need for $300. but i just wanna know how hard the sohc vtec motor pulls in our 4th gen. im guessing its a bit quicker in the 4th gen, right? well, someone let me know. im doing the swap in about a month...so yeah....
    R.I.P.

AzN VtEc PoWeR (6:38:35 PM): im gonna go shit in someones cereal

SOHC VTEC is for gas mileage, not that great. Still, not many people have it, so go for it. As long as it's OBD1>OBD1 it should be easy. I can't remember if that motor was out of the 96-97 or not.
    -Jay

Comment

i think its out of the 94-97 ex's and se's

Comment

so umm......my car is gonna be faster with the f22b1 than with the f22a6, right?
        R.I.P.

Comment

Maybe by a couple HP. If it's worth it to you, then do it. It's good swap experience, anyway.
          -Jay

Comment

i would say it is gonna be about the same...i have just the vtec head on mine and u can notice not much of a difference...but yea def, it is worth it just bc no one has it.
            My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

well, im thinking the vtec will definately help, even if its not that noticable. but then again, i might feel a significant difference since my motor has 206k miles and my tranny slips like crazy..... another question: will the dc headers i have in my f22a6 fit the f22b1 block?
              R.I.P.

Comment

As far as I know, the exhaust port pattern is the same, so they should work. Just test fit and find out, I suppose.
                -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
                  As far as I know, the exhaust port pattern is the same, so they should work. Just test fit and find out, I suppose.
                  wrong . . . they will not fit. dont do the f22b1 swap, please dont. buy an f22b DOHC and put it in, it will be more than 200 bucks for sure but you will be happier in the end.
                  -Mark-
                  CB7
                  CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                  Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

why is that? i mean, i know dohc is better but im not swapping the motor for power but to have something with a lot less miles on it... but i do want some gain in hp, just to have a bit more fun driving it. how does the f22b1 respond to turbo? im thinking about that after i get the 5spd conversion....
                    R.I.P.

Comment

dont do it because i can almost guaruntee your doing it for VTEC. the SOHC VTEC isnt designed for performance at all. its designed to give you a little more power (well a little mid-range boost in power) while keeping the gas milage low. theres 2 cam lobes, not 3 like with DOHC VTEC. anyways, the f22a (or f22b DOHC) would be much easier to turbo considering you can use all DSM parts. the F22b1 you cannot since the exhaust porting is different (0-0-0-0 f22a - 0-00-0 f22b1)

EDIT: i just reread your post . . . if you want less miles swap for a f22b DOHC, its gonna cost you about the same as an F22b1 swap and you will end up with 160hp and not 145 hp. torque is about the same.
                      -Mark-
                      CB7
                      CD5

Comment

so i can get a f22b (dohc) for $300? and it'll be a better motor for the turbo setup?
                        R.I.P.

Comment

well it depends where you shop.
                          my 91 cb7
                          Originally posted by 4doorfury
                          I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Originally posted by EdgarCb7
                            so i can get a f22b (dohc) for $300? and it'll be a better motor for the turbo setup?
                            not 300, you can get one for 695 shipped from japanstarmotors.com
                            i still dont recommend this swap at all, 300 is a good price, but ive got a 5th gen w/ an f22b1 and im not terribly impressed. i havent driven it far (maybe like 10 or 15 miles since i bought it in november) cuz i drive my CB7 everyday. but im swapping the f22b1 out for a f22b DOHC when i get the money.

as far as i know, the f22b uses an h23 head, or one very similar (similar enough that you can use h23 valvetrain parts) which flows MUCH better than the f22b1 head. the blocks are identical, all f22 blocks came out of the same mold.
                            -Mark-
                            CB7
                            CD5

Comment

Originally posted by EdgarCb7
                              why is that? i mean, i know dohc is better but im not swapping the motor for power but to have something with a lot less miles on it... but i do want some gain in hp, just to have a bit more fun driving it. how does the f22b1 respond to turbo? im thinking about that after i get the 5spd conversion....
                              from my personal experiance the f22b1 responds great to boost. I didnt have a problem at all and i loved the way it sounded once the vtec kicked in . I was thinking about doing the dohc f22b swap...but i didnt really feel like it was the best thing for me to do. I also felt like with boost dohc has more parts that can fuck your shit up the sohc. For me simple is better and it is one less thing to worry about while running boost. Unless you want to completely build you head along with ur bottom end which can get very expensive...
                              My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

Working...
                              X