No announcement yet.

Swap done. Won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exxxactly! I'm not a fan of just firing off parts and hope something sticks either, but sometimes, that's all you can do.

If you don't mind, keep us updated with the scatter gun approach!

Cris P.

Comment

Well a couple of things new, I re-torqued ALL of the suspension components. Before I did just the upper control arms, ball joints, struts and radius rods. Today I rechecked them and re-torqued all of the lower mounting points. I also went to the salvage and picked up a intermediate shaft, and installed it this afternoon. Maybe the intermediate shaft bearing is going bad and making noise ...I don't know but when I got the old one off you could grab it and wiggle it +\- 1/16 of an inch. I missed that when I did my swap, this may not be the problem but I am glad I found it now. The salvage part is rock solid and no movement. The car I got it from only had 174,000+ on the clock.

The local import performance shop Gave me several Ideas I had not thought of and I'm still working down their list, so far it has only cost me about 3 hours of time and $23.00 for the part and that includes driving to and from the salvage.
      Their last Idea was to replace my engine and transmission mounts. I wanted to do the DIY urethane mounts anyway so I'm going to order the McMaster-Carr 80A urethane and mounts tomorrow.

I am going to get on it hard first thing in the morning and see if the grinding sound is gone (fingers crossed) we'll see.

Comment

UPDATE:
        I got on it this morning hard enough that I feel It SHOULD have made the grinding noise it has every other time. I may have found it....I'll pound on it a little and see. I've never been able to get on it hard while turning without making noise but not today!!! However we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
          UPDATE:
          I got on it this morning hard enough that I feel It SHOULD have made the grinding noise it has every other time. I may have found it....I'll pound on it a little and see. I've never been able to get on it hard while turning without making noise but not today!!! However we'll see
          Good luck man, you have been extremely persistent. Read through everything. The swap looks great. My motor only has 114k f22 so a swap may be in the far future for me.
          So did the grinding/clunking end up being the mounts?

Comment

I haven't done the mounts yet, I'm getting them and the urethane filler to do them today. The only thing I have replaced so far is the intermediate shaft, that was yesterday and I had only the drive to work to pound on it a little. That's a 15 mile drive and I TRIED to make it happen but It didn't. So I am hoping that was it. I guess I did not inspect it properly when I put it back together when I did my swap, if I had I would have seen it and replaced it then. I'm just glad It did not become a bad problem while driving. So I'll pound on it later put some miles on and see.

Comment

When you described the clunk and when it happens sounds exactly like a problem i am having. But good luck man i am going to dig into my car after work

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
                I haven't done the mounts yet, I'm getting them and the urethane filler to do them today. The only thing I have replaced so far is the intermediate shaft, that was yesterday and I had only the drive to work to pound on it a little. That's a 15 mile drive and I TRIED to make it happen but It didn't. So I am hoping that was it. I guess I did not inspect it properly when I put it back together when I did my swap, if I had I would have seen it and replaced it then. I'm just glad It did not become a bad problem while driving. So I'll pound on it later put some miles on and see.
                Dude that's awesome! Sounds like you figure it out! Great job!

Comment

Working...
                X