Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20b vs h22a

Why is the f20b so much cheaper ?

Is there any benefit to the h over the f?

Both are rated similar in power and are dohc vtecs..?

Click it.... You know you wanna
    Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Originally posted by 91kid View Post
    Why is the f20b so much cheaper ?

Is there any benefit to the h over the f?

Both are rated similar in power and are dohc vtecs..?
    The reason Honda created the F20B was to compete in the 2.0 liter class. The F20B is supposingly a "race breed" motor and shares some similarities with the Euro-R and Type-S heads being factory port n polished. The manuals have a similar transmission to the Type-S motor so if u can get ur hands on one it's the next best thing to a Euro-R transmission.

The only reason it's probably cheaper is because ur possibly looking at a automatic 180HP version. The manual F20Bs u can sometimes and get lucky to find a full longblock with a manual transmission for under 1400. The LSD transmission alone costs over $1000-$1500 by itself if the engine importer knows what they have on their hands but sometimes u can get lucky and find it cheaper.

Another reason it's cheaper coz it's a OBD2 only motor and extra steps are needed to swap it into a OBD1 chassis. As far as tuning goes some things are interchangeable with a H22 motor but if you are trying to improve the motor overall like swapping pistons or doing a full build... it would be more practical to start with a regular H22 since there is more aftermarket support. Of course there is aftermarket support for the F20B as well...but unless ur doing some fullout circuit racing...sourcing JDM F20B aftermarket support will get pricey. These motors are ridiculous in their full Honda track form and can easily see 300HP+

If you are a B-series guy this motor is a Rev Happy motor compared to the H22... but being only 2.0 u have to wind up the RPMs more to get to the same powerband a 2.2 liter would reach lower.
    Last edited by Warudakumi; 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
    JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
    1994 Prelude V-Tec
    1999 CL 3.0
    2000 Prelude
    2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
    1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
    1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
    1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

That's a lot of good info. Learning is fun
      10th Anniversary Accord.
      05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

I can get the motor for 899.99 (manual version) and the tranny for an additional 850$ for the LSD, comes out to about 5-700 cheaper then h22 with an LSD, but being jdm only is it gonna be hard to get timing belts and such?

What distributor and injectors are needed to make it obd1?

Or do I just use it's harness and get a obd1-ob2 ecu jumper?
        Probably not going to do more then bolt ons, exhaust intake, cams.. Shouldn't have issues getting those parts right?

Does it use exhaust for f22 Or h22 bolt pattern?

I kind of want to do it just to not have the same swap, everyone has lol

Comment

If you search I did a write up about it on here on what you need. And now the motor is a common of swap as the h22.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

ya follow tracies info list and read the whole thread. the only thing i had a problem with was the manual tensioner, it doesnt work with that engine and i posted a link to a better auto tensioner.

also i see alot of threads about H22 problems. and very few about F20B problems. and its really not that hard to swap it to OBD1.

here is a link to the swap list
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=185260
            about the exhaust it uses the H22. i used the stock headers and got a down pipe from a 2000 lude and had to get a pipe welded in to extend it to fit to the cat. there was about a foot short.
            also in tracies thread i mentioned my belt was a 155 tooth belt and not a 156 like seems to be said.

what site are you lookin at getting it from?
            Last edited by esskater892; 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM.
            Accord SE

93se
            Members Ride
            Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
            Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
              ya follow tracies info list and read the whole thread. the only thing i had a problem with was the manual tensioner, it doesnt work with that engine and i posted a link to a better auto tensioner.

also i see alot of threads about H22 problems. and very few about F20B problems. and its really not that hard to swap it to OBD1.

here is a link to the swap list
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=185260
              about the exhaust it uses the H22. i used the stock headers and got a down pipe from a 2000 lude and had to get a pipe welded in to extend it to fit to the cat. there was about a foot short.
              also in tracies thread i mentioned my belt was a 155 tooth belt and not a 156 like seems to be said.

what site are you lookin at getting it from?
              Hmotors online if I go f20, or h22, not 100% sure what I wanna do yet

Comment

F20B thats the right way to go lol.

i will say you might like it better if you use the lude motor. im using the f22's right now. but i still love it.
                Accord SE

93se
                Members Ride
                Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

91kid, don't allow this conversation to become opinionated to the point where it dictates what you want to do with YOUR car and YOUR money.

Sure, there is more aftermarket support for the H22A in terms of internals but everything on the outside of the engine and even some of the top end is H22A compatible. If you're buying a running engine that may need exterior seals replaced at most, then the "parts availability" for the F20B shouldn't bother you because all of that is H22A compatible and can be purchased at a parts store.

Performance wise you should be able to infer what the performance of each will be relative to each other by understanding the different internal dimensions and looking at dyno graphs. The H22A is already a fairly rev-happy engine with a decent amount of low end as well. The F20B has a stroke nearly 3mm shorter and a much higher rod-stroke ratio. This makes for an engine that needs to be wound up in order to make a decent amount of power. But, once it gets up to speed it's a good runner. Where as the H22A performs best with a shorter geared transmission it's almost imperative for any spirited driving driving with the F20B. Either engine will behave nicely in a daily application, though.

For the OBD2 stuff, just as is the case with an OBD2 H22A, you'll need an OBD1:
                  H22/H23 upper plenum
                  distributor (that also matches your current car's coil configuration)
                  injectors

All the other stuff like the ECU, engine accessories and any other questions you have are answered all over the site and really don't need any further discussion as your scenario isn't any different than others'.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Cams and valve train compatable with h22?

What kind of redline would you see on an f20b with cams,headwork and titanium valve train?

I'm really on the fence, I kinda like the idea of the rev happy 2.0 over the h22 but am kinda worried if I ever need pistons etc...

And does the f20 use f22 or h22 exhaust manis?

Comment

The valvetrain is the same, except for the valve diameters. Those are 1mm shorter on each side.
                      That can be found here:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=41915

The F20B, like I said, is externally similar to an H22A. Therefore it uses H22A-style intake and exhaust manifolds. This information is abundant on the world wide web.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

h22a after market makes more parts for me i(i said me) my h22 is cheaper that the f20b auto one was 849 manual is like 1600 plus 850 for tranny thats alotta cake whole h swap for 900 h motor and trans good deal 195 hp out da box f20s rev higher but have no tq ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............both great just think for future also ok bud
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        This thread is over a year old, you fucking retard.
                        i dont know why this popped up but U MAD BRO? not my fault u is FAKE! CLOWN ASS

Comment

Working...
                        X