is this worth it? (f20b question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this worth it? (f20b question)

I'm fed up with my f23. It's running off a poa ecu, has been for 2 years, and now it's acting up. I have a thread in the technical section with what's going on, no one can find out why it's cutting out. It's running perfectly fine now, but this is the second time it's left me stranded in 6 months due to this same issue. I called a Honda specific garage I take it to and asked about getting the factory f22 put back in, and he said for 1500 he can put the f20b in. I made sure he knew what he was doing, everything he mentioned went with all I've read about this swap. Their garage has done 8 f20b swaps already as well, and have two F20b race cars they run at a local oval track. He said each motor lasted them two full seasons being ran at peak rpms full time on the track, so they really believe them to be reliable. For the price, should I go this route? These guys are sort of close to where I'll be living, so I can always have them work on it since they keep f20b parts there all the time, I just need a solid daily, and really just need advice here. I know some of you are running this engine and I'd like your input as well

"worth it" is your call, man. Nobody else can say what's worth it to you.

BUT, $1500 out the door for the engine AND the labor, and all parts to install it... that's a pretty good deal. I paid nearly $4000 in total for my h22 swap 10 years ago (though I got ripped off hardcore.)
    In fact, $1500 is so cheap, I have to wonder about the quality of the engines they get, or what corners they'll be cutting for the swap. I'd get a list of ALL things they'll be replacing, and what things will be reused (like the clutch... that should be replaced. As well as all belts and seals.) Find out what ECU they'll be using, as I believe all F20Bs are OBD2. Also ask if there is a warranty on parts and labor. If that engine blows, you're out $1500.
    Finally, find out if it's the 180hp model, or the 200hp model (well 180ps and 200ps... not quite 180/200hp, but close enough.)

If all checks out, $1500 is a fair price for a swap. Especially one done by a shop, and not some shadetree mechanic. But be careful. Too good to be true often is.

Comment

I'll ask, I want to know everything that's done to my car, I'm very picky. I do know they get their f20b's from tiger Japanese, as well as all their other motors. I've heard good and bad about that company, but they say they've dealt with them for years. And it will be converted to obd1 with a chipped ecu, the owner of the shop said they do it all right there. I have an h23 prelude tranny, so that will have to do for now, I know it's not geared the best for this motor, but it's close and will be a daily anyway.

Comment

Actually, deever, you were the one who warned me before about tiger Japanese, haha. I have done a lot of reading since then, and I'll make sure they inspect everything on the motor before it goes in, even if I pay extra
        Last edited by Nezdude87; 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't trust Tiger one bit. I've seen far too many members on here get bad engines. If you can get the shop to give you some sort of guarantee, then it'd be worth the risk, I'd say. Plus, Tiger may treat a shop that is a repeat customer better than the average one-shot kid.

Given all that they'll be doing, and the fact that they have lots of experience with swaps AND the F20B, I'd say that's a very good price. My shop said they had swap experience, but I ended up having to learn how to do everything so I could teach these professional mechanics (all ex Honda techs, too!) how to do it. They still halfassed everything. To this day, I still find things that I need to fix!

Comment

You should ensure they do everything that's recommended on this site when someone does a swap. No reused gaskets, timing job done correctly, front and rear main seals, valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals.

When I just did a basic engine replacement I tore the head off and replaced every single gasket. I would see if they would do the same before they installed it for a little more. And I'd also sort the header situation yourself. Otherwise you'll have a crappy welded pipe in place.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

My shop told me my timing belt "looked fine"... so my timing belt is 20 years old.

Comment

They do deal with them constantly, they get the f20b's super cheap due to buying them in bunches lol. They have 2 f20 b's setting there now, and I've seen others they've had as well. Every engine looked pretty good and clean, obviously that means nothing, but I will have every extra thing done. I'm going to call them now, actually, and have a very thorough conversation with the owner, the man who will be doing the swap.

Comment

Just make sure they will stand behind their work, and the engine they install. As long as you feel they won't be cutting corners on anything important, and that they'll fix something should it go drastically wrong, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk your daily driver.

Comment

F23A Crank and Rods in F20B with K20 pistons then will be worth it

Comment

You'll have to bore it out by 1mm. Then add the cost of main and rod bearings, new rings and you're set. Since this thread originated with someone asking about the validity of a shop's prices who would be doing the install and getting engines from Tiger Japan I would not recommend this modification.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                      X