Timing belt problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt problem?

Hey guys a few weeks ago I did a KS tuned timing tensioner swap on my H22A. Well since then I have had a high pitch noise coming from that side of the motor. I was told that if the belt is to lose or to tight it will cause a high pitch noise. Before I take it all apart again has anyone had any problems like this before? I feel as if the tension is right ive watched the videos on how to do it and so on but being the first time ive done a timing belt I'm not to sure. The car runs fine. Also could the balancing shaft being out of time cause any said problems?

thanks for any help guys!
    Cody

Sounds like the balance shaft belt is too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
      Sounds like the balance shaft belt is too tight.
      Could it be out of time as well? would that cause any noise problems I do get that vibration that everyone talks about when its out of time but I set it the same was you set the f22a6 I couldnt really find anything on how to set the h22 one.
      thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by 92cb7sk8er View Post
        Could it be out of time as well? would that cause any noise problems I do get that vibration that everyone talks about when its out of time but I set it the same was you set the f22a6 I couldnt really find anything on how to set the h22 one.
        thanks for the help!
        It's possible it's out of time, but it wouldn't make that noise. That noise is due to a belt being too tight, sounds similar to a supercharger right? The vibration could be due to balance shafts being out. Did you line up the marks, pull the service hole and stick a pin or something through it to line it up?

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
          It's possible it's out of time, but it wouldn't make that noise. That noise is due to a belt being too tight, sounds similar to a supercharger right? The vibration could be due to balance shafts being out. Did you line up the marks, pull the service hole and stick a pin or something through it to line it up?
          Yeah that’s exactly what my dad said when he first heard the noise. And yeah I took the 10mm bolt out and put a screw driver in to lock it into the 10-4 position if I remember right. Then I tried to get the front gear mark to line up with what I am guessing was the mark on the side of the block which is pointing toward the front of the car? That is where I kind of just guessed at it... And I did have the motor TDC.

Comment

Before you go all crazy taking off all of the belts again, why not check the tension of the accessory belts? Those have to come off to do the timing job, right? I know they do on the F22Ax...

Comment

so..what was your guide for the amount of tension? reids videos are a little vague. ill be finishing up my engine soon and have this tensioner also.(no BS)
              being the h22a had the auto tensioner; i havnt seen any belt deflection numbers, so when i get to that point ill probably use an h23's info. one thing too i wondered is, if the auto tensioner made up for belt stretch over miles/time, will we need service intervals to snug up the manual tensioner hmmm.. I dunno but ill be following the guidelines for the h23 tensioner conversion/FSM deflection numbers. so I hope you just didnt do a "looks right" or "feels right"

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                Before you go all crazy taking off all of the belts again, why not check the tension of the accessory belts? Those have to come off to do the timing job, right? I know they do on the F22Ax...
                All my car has is the alternatior belt which was the first place I went. Both the alternatior and the belt are less then a week old. Other then that I have no power steering, AC or cruse.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  so..what was your guide for the amount of tension? reids videos are a little vague. ill be finishing up my engine soon and have this tensioner also.(no BS)
                  being the h22a had the auto tensioner; i havnt seen any belt deflection numbers, so when i get to that point ill probably use an h23's info. one thing too i wondered is, if the auto tensioner made up for belt stretch over miles/time, will we need service intervals to snug up the manual tensioner hmmm.. I dunno but ill be following the guidelines for the h23 tensioner conversion/FSM deflection numbers. so I hope you just didnt do a "looks right" or "feels right"
                  My dad and I spent 3 days working on this being the first DOHC timing job we both did it took alot longer then it should have. But the only thing I had to go off of was the video and thats it. Sad I know and yeah it sucks but you have to make due with what you got. But the video didnt cover the B/S due to the fact that it didnt have it. But if you have a link for the H23 tension plz do share. But as for my car it runs just fine just the bad noise. I pretty much just used "commen sence" but I would like it alot more if I had something to go off of due to the fact that the motor isnt cheap..

Comment

Originally posted by 92cb7sk8er View Post
                    My dad and I spent 3 days working on this being the first DOHC timing job we both did it took alot longer then it should have. But the only thing I had to go off of was the video and thats it. Sad I know and yeah it sucks but you have to make due with what you got. But the video didnt cover the B/S due to the fact that it didnt have it. But if you have a link for the H23 tension plz do share. But as for my car it runs just fine just the bad noise. I pretty much just used "commen sence" but I would like it alot more if I had something to go off of due to the fact that the motor isnt cheap..
                    welp, i combed through the FSM and the h23's tension is controlled by springs.. so that idea is out the door..in the video he shows about 4-5 mm of deflection. im wondering if the h23 conversion might be superior. anyway. they have those car stethoscopes you can probe with the car running and pin point where the sounds coming from, perhaps you guys were fatigued and overlooked something good luck and id probably not drive till its fixed lol

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                      welp, i combed through the FSM and the h23's tension is controlled by springs.. so that idea is out the door..in the video he shows about 4-5 mm of deflection. im wondering if the h23 conversion might be superior. anyway. they have those car stethoscopes you can probe with the car running and pin point where the sounds coming from, perhaps you guys were fatigued and overlooked something good luck and id probably not drive till its fixed lol
                      Its coming from the timming cover I just dont know what from.. but Im going to end up taking it apart again and just give it a try later this week. But before I get it all back together Ill start the car up just to see if I can pin point it with out the cover on.. It has to be one of the belts just tired of messing with it at this point.. but it has to be done!

Comment

Well it turns out that the timing belt was lose. I got it all apart and started it up and the long run was bouncing as the belt was spining. But the tension is tight both on the short run and along the cam gears. I cant get the it to tenson right to save my life its almost like the belt is wrong or of a tooth.. I have a few guys coming out to look at it for me, Ill let you guys know whats going on just in cause anyone else has the same problem at some point.

Comment

The issue is your getting it in time then throwing the belt on. You need to get it in time. Line up the belt put the belt on the crank first and put something to hold the crank. Then pull all the tension out as good as you can get it with your hands put it on the cams and pull the tension out. And make sure it's still in time. Then put it behind the tensioner pulley with all the slack by the tensioner pully then tighten it up. The kstuned adjuster is very easy to use your issue is your leaving the slack everywhere you have to get all the slack to the tensioner side before you start tightening.

Comment

update

I redid the belts and everything and had a full time mechanic set the time and yet it still makes the sound. I even had a guy who works at honda look at it he said that it seems like it would be a power steering belt but since I dont have one he was at a loss as well. The only thing I can come up with now is the pully. But not looking to take it apart again any time soon....

Comment

Working...
                            X