F22B1 Swap Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22B1 Swap Info

I did a search and was surprised that there was basically zero info related to this swap so I decided to do a write-up while I was at it. I just dropped the motor in over the weekend and here's some info that may help some of you guys. If anyone else out there has this motor too and can add to this thread, go right ahead.

You would think that since this is an F22 and the original engine is also an F22 that it'd be pretty straightforward and be a direct drop in swap......that is far from the truth tho. It basically requires all the same mods as a an H22 swap plus a few other things. It's still not too difficult but I would rate it as slightly more difficult and more involved than an H22 swap. It took me about 17 hrs. to assemble the motor, pull the old one, drop the new one in and have it running. If you plan on doing this swap yourself in your back yard, it may take a few days or even a week or so because you probably won't have quite the assortment of hardcore tools that I have. It is still very do-able on your own.

Install Tips:

intermediate shafts are different - use the 90-93 interm. shaft and axles

I used the 90-93 accord brackets, alternator and P/S pump (A/C has been removed) since I did not have the 94-97 stuff. It required tapping one hole in the block to mount the alt. bracket and cutting off part of the P/S bracket.

The block does not have the cutout for timing marks on flywheel so make sure you use an underdrive pulley with timing marks on it.

Since I'm using the 90-93 accessories (alt. P/S), and the 94-97 u/d pulley, I had to use an H23 P/S pulley. It is smaller and lines up better with the u/d pulley.

The intake manifold is completely different especially the fuel rail and other fuel system parts. I had to do excessive modifications to the fuel rail to get it to work. The fuel lines goes at it from the D. side so I had to move the fuel connection to the P. side of the rail and relocate the fuel pressure regulator to the D. Side. I also had to plug up one additional opening on the fuel rail. The fuel line needed to be bent so that it does not hit the trottle. Again, the manifolds are completely different so sensor/devices are in totally different spots and require some re-wiring to get them to work. Vacuum connections are on the D. side backside of the manifold so I had to run new vacuum lines that reached. I also had to rig the throttle cable (zip-tied in place for now) but I will be making a throttle cable bracket soon.

The front crossmember needs to be cut like crazy to get the header/a-pipe to fit. A huge chunk needs to be cut out to even make room for the exhaust. Also, the a-pipe is only about 1.5' long while the CB7's is about 2' long so the exhaust does not meet up at all. Plus the rear flange on the a-pipe is a two bolt flange while the 4th gen is a 3 bolt. Some pretty excessive exhaust modifications are needed.

You want to use the CB7 trans mount but it reqires either the holes in the trans to be tapped so you can put studs in there, or you can do what I did and weld onto the mount so that it meets up with the existing studs.

You want to use the CB7 D. side mount but it does require some modifications. There are two parts to this mount.....the engine mount and the car mount. The engine mount needs to be cut on one side because it will hit the timing belt (ouch!!) and because the mount is different, the timing belt cover also needs to be modified to to fit it. The car mount part remains unmodified.

Use the Cb7 front and rear mounts and no modifications are needed.

I looked at the wiring diagrams and ECU pinouts for both the 93 EX and 94 EX and there are a few differences. I re-wired the ECU pins and a few things under the hood to match the 94 EX wiring and pinouts. If you wanted to, you could get away with ONLY running the VTEC wires and swapping pins A6 & A11. I went a few steps further and rewired mine to match the 94-95 wiring exactly. You don't have to if you don't want to. Here’s all the wiring the changes:

1.Pin D7 goes to the 3 wire data link connector - Not part of the 4th gens, not needed, and not wired up. I may end up adding this down the road so that I can plug in my scan tool.

2.Pin A10 goes to an Engine Mount Control Solenoid Valve – Not part of the 4th gens and I do not have the valve so it’s not hooked up. This shouldn’t cause any running issues and will not kick on the CEL.

3. Pin A14 goes to the Fuel Injection Air Control Sol. Valve – Also not part of the 4th gens. It’s a two wire solenoid, one wire goes to Pin A14 and the other wire goes to a +12V switched wire (grabbed at the Idle Air Control Valve cause it’s close by).

4. The Intake Air Bypass Sol. Went to Pin A17 on the 4th gen, but goes to Pin A19 on the 5th gen. It is wired up, but the bypass sol. was removed long ago. This should not affect running conditions and will not kick on the CEL.

5. The Idle Air Control Sol. Valve used to go to Pin A19 on the 4th gen but does not exist on the 5th gen. engine and therefore is not wired up. There is an Idle Air Control Valve (not the solenoid) that goes to Pin A9 but it is wired identical to the 4th gen and remains wired that way. These two valves are not the same and not related.

6.Pin A22 was a secondary voltage wire that used to go to the Ignition Control Module (along with Pin A21) but is not used on the 5th gens.

7.Pin A8 was a secondary voltage wire that used to go to the Main Relay (along with Pin A7) but is not used on the 5th gens.

8.Pin D19 used to be a shared sensor wire but now goes directly to the MAP sensor. All previous sensors sharing this wire now go to Pin D20.

9.Pin D21 used to be a shared sensor wire but now goes directly to the MAP sensor. All previous sensors sharing this wire now go to Pin D22

10.Pin D6 is the VTEC press. Switch.

11. Pin A4 is the VTEC sol.

12. Swap pins A6 & A11 at the ECU. A6 is an O2 wire and A11 is an EGR wire. These are opposite on the 5th gen. Swap these pinsor your car will run like shit!

13.Also worth mentioning, but not used on my manual trans - Pins D5 and D14 are new additions that would run to the AT control module.

The F22B1 does not have the Idle Air Bypass Solenoid.

All other ECU pins and wiring are identical for both ECU’s. These are the only changes.

Here's a few pictures to give you more of an idea.

Still haven't wired up VTEC yet. The exhaust is not done yet so I'm not driving it on the street (running an open header right now and it's loud as shit). I'm running the PT3 ECU for now until the exhaust is straight. The P0A will go in sometime this week.

This shows the part of the cross member that needs to be cut to fit the exhaust.

Shows the cut P/S bracket.

Shows my ghetto throttle mount for now. I will be making a custom one soon.

Shows the fuel line bent to avoid hitting the throttle.

Shows the vacuum lines run in back of the manifold.

Shows the piece I welded on to the trans mount.

Shows some mods done to the D. side engine mount.
    Last edited by ACCLUDE91; 10-09-2007, 12:39 AM.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Shows a clean ass bottom end

Shows a clean ass head

Went ahead and removed the heater core and all the shit in the dash. Here's the sealed heater core connection on the motor.

Hope you find this useful if you do this swap yourself and feel free to add any additional info you can.
    Last edited by ACCLUDE91; 10-09-2007, 12:41 AM.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

reserved for updates.....

More pics!

had to get it home somehow?

the "pile-o-parts" for this swap

just finished

fuel rail

some subtle re-wiring on coolant temp and EGR

exhaust

sexxi front end

adj. FPR install
      Last edited by ACCLUDE91; 10-09-2007, 01:00 AM.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

no, i have the same swap also,
        F22B1-
        DC HEADERS
        2 ECU p72 and a p13
        stage 3 clutch (havent installed it yet.)
        i have a check engine light on it gave me 2 codes 10-which is intake air temp sensor and 41- which is Primary oxygen sensor heater.

Comment

Glad I'm not alone with the single cam swap. I kinda like the peppy single cams.

I have no check engine light codes. It started up first crank and ran perfect. If you need any help figuring out the codes lemme know and I'll see what I can do to help.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

thanks buddy i have the sensors all i have to do is change them, yeah i kinda like the B1 swap, when i run it with the p13 ecu vtec kicks in hard, but when money is right i wanna throw in a H22................... but i got tother thing to take care of before i go h22 so who know when.............

Comment

hehe...this F22B1 is kinda like a "temporary swap" for both of us. You're waiting to get an H22 and I'm waiting for the turbo H23 to get done. I guess we both just wanted a little bit more of a kick to hold us over in the meantime

Curious about the P13 ECU running it....you say it makes VTEC stronger, but does it run like shit at low RPM's or bog down at all? The compression ratios of the motor are completely different and I'd think that'd throw off the a/f a little and make the F22B1 run a little rich?!?!? Also, do you take it to the P13 revlimit which is well past the factory P0A revlimit? Any info is appreciated

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

i also have this head swap...just put it on my a block. To engauge the vtec i am using a vafc (also doubles as my piggy back fuel computer). I will def have to post some vids and pics of my new set up, because she is force fed!
                My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

to tell you the truth i tried a p28 and that ECU ran like shit at low RPM's with the P13 i dont seem to have a problem yet.

Comment

I think me and Ralph have the full F22B1 motors. I'm also using the B1 trans....not sure about him. I'd be curious to see if there are any major differences in performance between the full B1 package and just swapping the head like you. The blocks are basically the same internally so it should be pretty even. I'm hoping to run it at the track this Fri. so I'll see how much of a difference it really makes.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

well compared to the f22a to me is a difference cause i ran one and we both banged second at the same time Vtec kicked in and i pulled on him by a fender at the moment once i threw in 3rd gear i was gone i just look back and

Comment

Wow! Excellant post. Almost makes me NOT want to do this. lol
                        I was actually considering doing this swap (for a second).
                        I could pick up this motor for $300, but it seems like a pain when I can pic up an H22A4 for a little more.

CB3 formerly hondaracer33

Comment

uhmm,, wow sounds like your install was way more difficult than mine.
                          i did not find it necassary to cut croxx member for exhuast. mine was more or less a "plug n play" situation. i just ran my 91 engine harness on the b1. then wired in my "vtec, pressure switch, and knock senssor". the "pig tail" at the ECU needed to be repined. but i am running the car off the 95EX ECU. my vtec kicks about 4,100k. but drops power gain at around 5,500k. only reason why im regrettin the swap, is cause now im gonna boost her. and the DSM mani is not even a close match. so i have to have a custom mani made. but my vtec will help the turbo spool faster. just gonna get a VAFC modual, so the vtec will kick at 2k. but there are obviously more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

I'm in the process of doing this swap. I'm using my tranny on a motor with 28k miles. still pulling the motor, having problems getting a hold of a lift. how did you modify the fuel rail cause i was going the extend the fuel lines but if it saves money i rather do it. Also a temporary swap. I have a fully built h22 that i was going to put in but decided to find a cleaner car to put it in. please let me knowabout the rail. thanks
                            IN LOVING MEMORY OF GEORGE R. BRACEY. 3/2/83 - 7/21/05 WE WILL NEVER EVER FORGET YOU. HATED BY FEW, LOVED BY MANY. IT'S TOO BAD YOUR LIFE WAS TAKEN BY AN UNEXPERIENCED DRIVER. ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS AND IN OUR MINDS MAY YOU REST IN PEACE.

Comment

here's some pics to help out:

an overview

here's the fuel line connection that got relocated to the passenger side. I just had to bend the 4th gen fuel line slightly so it didn't hit the throttle.

here's the driver side. the hole on the side was sealed off using a bolt covered with teflon tape. The brass fittings going to the rail are where the fuel pressure regulator would go. I have an adj. FPR on it so that's why it's removed.

Here's a few pics of the FPR:

hope that helps~

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X