easiest way to change trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easiest way to change trans?

hey i have an h22a in my 90 accord, what is the easiest way to change my trans? pulling the motor out or dropping it down? also besides the stock trans and the trans for the h22 do any other transmissions fit? trying to go the cheapest yet best way possible

h22 tranny, f22 tranny, f23 tranny, and h23 tranny...not sure if some of those are inherently the same or not, but they will all work!

Comment

bump, i need to know the easiest way to get a trans off of my motor, should i pull the whole motor or drop it down lower? and if so any directions on how to do it?

Comment

drop the trans, leave the motor in the engine bay.

Per hemls (Manual TransAxle):

1) Disconnect Battery Terminal (Neg 1st, then positive, then remove battery)
        2) drain trans fluid
        3) remove battery base and base stay
        4) remove air intake duct and filter
        5) remove intake control vaccum tank and bracket
        6) disconnect starter cables, then remove the starter motor
        7) disconnect backup light switch and trans ground cable
        8) remove wiring harness clamp
        9) shift tranny into reverse (MANUAL)
        10) remove (shifter) cables and brackets
        11) disconnect vehical spedo sensor and remove from tranny
        12) remove (clutch) slave cylinder
        13) remove dampner mounting bolts and raise clutch dampner
        14) remove rear engine mount bracket stay
        15) remove cotter pins, ball joint nuts, then seperate ball joints and lower control arms on both sides
        16) remove right (passanger side) dampner fork
        17) remove right (shifter) radius rod
        18) remove driveshaft and interemeident shaft
        19) remove center beam
        20) remove front engine stiffner and cltuch cover
        21) remove intake manifoild stay
        22) remove rear beam stiffner
        23) remove three rear mount bracket mounting bolts
        24) put floor jack under trans just enough to take weight off mounts
        25) remove trans mount and bracket
        26) remove the two upper trans housing mounting bolts (?? can't even tell where these are by the picture. looks to be just below the dizzy)
        27) remove the three lower trans housing mounting bolts
        28) drop trans outta car =)

By the way, towards the end, just remove the bolts that hold the tranny to the engine =)

good luck.
        2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
        JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
        My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

. Some people like leaving the engine in. I just drop the whole thing out and replace the tranny outside the car. Takes me only a couple of hours. Its really whatever you prefer. My CB7 had a front end collision at some pont in its life so my space is limited.

Comment

for the record, with the h22 in the accord you cannot drop it down enough to get at the trans without pulling the power steering pump off, it hits the cross member, so i just pulled my whole engine out and took care of the trans and took the power steering pump off at the same time, btw does anyone know what size belt to use on the pulley without the power steering pump on?

Comment

Originally posted by pat nuben
              for the record, with the h22 in the accord you cannot drop it down enough to get at the trans without pulling the power steering pump off, it hits the cross member, so i just pulled my whole engine out and took care of the trans and took the power steering pump off at the same time, btw does anyone know what size belt to use on the pulley without the power steering pump on?
              ????? The power steering has it's own belt, specifically for power steering.....why would you need another belt? Just leave it off completely! The power steering pump is the highest belt driven accesory. Unless you are talking about the A/C Compressor which is located underneath the alternator at the very bottom. In that case i'm not sure, but any auto parts store will be able to give you the right size belt.

Member's Ride

Comment

i don't know about the h22 but with any tranny u should remove the cross member. its the easies way. if u do it in ur own home just remove the cross member.
                i did a diy with the f22 tranny hope it helps. just search for it.
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

im not talkin about the cross member that goes from the front to back, im talkin about the cross member that goes from side to side, the one that you have to notch in order to make to the header and down pipe fit, the power steering pump hits it, so thats why i pulled the motor, it just made things alot easier, plus now i can pull all the un-needed pulleys and belts off

Comment

yeah i am talking about the same thing.
                    when i replaced my tranny i had to remove it in order to drop the tranny.
                    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Working...
                    X