Will insurance cover your H22 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will insurance cover your H22 swap?

I'm gonna finally go get some insurance, and I was wondering if I tell them I have a swapped motor in my car, will they add that to the value of the rest of the aftermarket stuff? (i.e., wheels, sounds, etc)

Anyone covered on their motor?

I told my insurance company and all they said was document everything (pics and/or receipts) and if anything happens the additional stuff will be used to accurately assess the value of the car. Granted, I know from other people with the same ins. that the payout for a total loss is very fair, aftermarket equipment included.

Comment

Many insurance companies, at least in certain areas, will raise the full-coverage rates for modified cars. If you have theft insurance on a stock car, it's $x,xxx a year. If you have theft on a modified car (paint, rims, exhaust... steal me stuff) it'll go up because you increase the risk. You increase the desirability and noticability of the car. If you have collision, and you make your car more powerful, the same thing will happen. Well, may happen.

Personally, I have liability insurance only... so the insurance company shouldn't give a damn about what I have under the hood! If I lose or wreck my car, they don't care. They only care about who I hit! However, I still keep it secret, just in case they want to raise my rates for no good reason based on mods.

Comment

You can declare a cash value for your car. The insurace company will base your premium on this value. Your insurance agent may require you get the car appraised.
        It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Yes. My car's H22a was covered, somewhat. They didn't give me the 3,000 i put in my car for the swap (I also did auto to manual) however, they did add about $1,350 for the motor =)

Keep in mind though, that my situation is special. Someone W/O insurance was 100% @ fault for the accident, so my insurance company didn't have to FIGHT anyone to get anything.

They did want recipts and pictures though. However, since I documented mostly everything, that wasn't a problem. The big thing for the insurance company was "low milage engine". That's what add's value (and thus $$$) to our cars.
          2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
          JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
          My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Me personally I wouldnt tell them shit, anything extra they will try to look how more deeper they can get into your pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
              Many insurance companies, at least in certain areas, will raise the full-coverage rates for modified cars. If you have theft insurance on a stock car, it's $x,xxx a year. If you have theft on a modified car (paint, rims, exhaust... steal me stuff) it'll go up because you increase the risk. You increase the desirability and noticability of the car. If you have collision, and you make your car more powerful, the same thing will happen. Well, may happen.
              Very true! That's one thing that held me back from getting a 240sx with a sr20det swap. If I'm going to have a modified car, I want full coverage on it. I don't want something to happen where $10,000 goes down the drain and all you get is $500.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
              91 accord lx (5spd)
              92 accord lx (5spd)
              93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

well when i wrecked my car progressive offered me 2200. after i showed them the reciepts to my rims and body kit they ended up giving me 4500... so you don't even have to tell them. but if you wreck your car you better have receipts

Comment

They gave you back 4,500 but i bet your insurance went up right?

Comment

i hope so they will just add a lil more to your premiunm...
                    http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=4810

1992 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd EX- R.I.P 8/10/05

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                      They gave you back 4,500 but i bet your insurance went up right?
                      in my case...no

Just FYI.
                      2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                      JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                      My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Working...
                      X