5th gen jdm auto tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th gen jdm auto tranny

my 4th gen auto tranny went out and i got a jdm 5th gen auto tranny in my hands. do i need the 5th gen transmission computer to run this transmission?

bump

Comment

You would need the computer but will it fit in the CB chassis? Personally i dont think it will work unless you do some custom work and 5th gens use a tiptronic tranny so dunno if its compatible. Some people might know more bout this.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

bump

I would like some info on this as well.

I know that the 5th gen a/t do not have the power steering attached to the vehicle speed sensor but the 4th gen VSS with the power steering will fit. I do not know if this alters the performance. As for the tcm(computer), the housing is different and so is the board. If anyone has a 5th gen a/t in there cb7 please provide any input.

thanks
        aj

Comment

another thing different between 5th and 4th a/t is the bolt pattern of the torque converter. you will have to use the 4th gen's torque converter. the 4th gen torque converter will fit on the spline of the 5th. i dont know if it will make it shift different though. i am going to try it. if anyone has any input please advise.

thanks
          aj

my set up:
          h23a from an ascot innova, had a bad a/t (mp6a)
          trying to swap a 5th gen a/t (aoya) from a 94 ce1

Comment

sorry haven't been around for awhile. im in the middle of the swap at the moment. the housing is the same. i found out after having the new tranny in, i have to use the drive plate from a 5th gen. the 4th gen drive plate is a little bigger in diameter. tomorrow the swap is getting finished and ill post my results when finished.

Comment

question about the flex plate. are the timing marks the same? are they the same thickness?

did you figure out what tcu you are going to use? imo, i would use the one that is designed for the current engine you have, do to revs and shift points. i am going to try both to see which one performs better.

any input from any experienced mechanic or shade tree mechanic would be appreciated.

thanks
              aj

Comment

well, i installed the tranny, everything bolted up perfectly. i used the speed sensor from the 4th gen tranny and used the front upper solenoid from the 4th gen, due to the plug being different. i went to test drive it and when i engaged the tranny in drive it sprayed fluid from the fender well and case. i have no clue as to what this would be. anyone got any ideas?

Comment

check the hoses the go to the radiator.
                  also, there is an overflow valve by the mount, check that as well.

peace
                  aj

Comment

well i got to looking and saw a crack in the right side cover plate. it looks as if the transmission was dropped or hit on that side. its a little crack and the bolt next to it is crushed also.

Comment

if anyone is considering this swap be very cautious!

the only way for the 5th gen a/t into a 4th is to use the 4th gen flex plate, vss, torque converter, and atc.

note the 5th gen torque converter is too small and the 5th's flex plate does not have timing marks on it for it to work!

i dont know if using the 4th's torque converter on a 5th's will effect shifting.

if you have any questions please ask

peace
                      aj

Comment

i patched the hole (wasn't a crack) earlier and didn't get to test drive the car yet.

i used the 5th gen drive plate, the 4th gen vss, and the 5th gen torque converter.

i moved the car when the tranny was installed. first and reverse worked perfectly. gears engaged fine.

im not sure which tcu im going to use yet though. i will test the 4th gen first. also sport option wasn't on 5th gens so not sure if that will affect anything.

Comment

for the atc, use the 4th gen or use the one designed for your swap so that it matches the shifting points.

jdm-accord how do you plan on setting the timing since the 5th gen sets its timing on the crank pulley?

Comment

Timing

The access hole for the 4th Gen is still there for timing purposes. The marks were transferred before the driveplates were switched for reference purposes.

Comment

any pics of your timing marks? i am curious how you transferred them while maintaining proper alignment.

Comment

Working...
                              X