pulling my axles!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulling my axles!!!

okay wtf ive broken two breaker bars in a row, what secret do you guys use to break the 36mm nut on the hub?? i have wd-40'd the shit of it and used about 4 foot hollow pipe along with my breaker bar!! im goin to AZ to pick up yet another breaker bar so hopefully you guys can leave me so advice before i get back, thanks..

I've found my ratchet handle to be stronger than my breaker bar, since you're putting a cheater pipe on it anyway.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Make sure you're not using a cheap-ass breaker bar...Sears/Craftsman is good. You can always bring them back for a new one if it breaks.

Also, WD-40 fucking sucks. So does liquid wrench. You want real penetrating oil... so go get some PB Blaster.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 12-30-2005, 01:52 PM.

Comment

CB7DOHC - did you even "unstake" the axle nut ?? ..if not, thats your problem.
        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

yeah PB Plaster all day... and you're sure you unstaked that nut, right? I mean, I know that sounds stupid, but i'm just making sure

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

electric impact gun for me lol, damn all that hardwork!
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

im pretty sure they're unstaked, there isnt any pins i see on the nut but umm yah AZ was out of breaker bars soo im about to use my 1/2" ratchet and cheater pipe if that doesnt work im selling the accord and f22b.....siiiiike but seriously there will be problems

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                electric impact gun for me lol, damn all that hardwork!
                Those have like no torque in comparison to pneumatics. As for Axle guy over here...the consensus seems to be to unstake the nut. And if it has not been removed in years...its gonna be a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7DOHC
                  im pretty sure they're unstaked, there isnt any pins i see on the nut but umm yah AZ was out of breaker bars soo im about to use my 1/2" ratchet and cheater pipe if that doesnt work im selling the accord and f22b.....siiiiike but seriously there will be problems

what pins
                  the axle nut is staked down by hammering a part of the axle nut onto an indentation located at the end of the axle(s).
                  Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 12-30-2005, 02:08 PM.
                  5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                  JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                    what pins
                    the axle nut is staked down by hammering a part of the axle nut onto an identation located at the end of the axle(s).
                    You need a hammer and anything that is a stronger material than the nut to unstake it.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                      Those have like no torque in comparison to pneumatics.
                      true, but its just enough torque for me to finish an axle in 30-45 minutes
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

oh...well i broke my ratchet also soo im gonna go check the stake...

Comment

lol im glad this thread is here, i will be replacing mine soon...they have been "clicking" whenever i hit the brakes
                          92 CB7 *Sold $3300 102K Miles 4 door LX

94 Del Sol *Baught $3300 80K Miles on chasis
                          and 60K miles on b18b1 motor swap

Comment

ok that part, where the ring around the nut it pushed into a "notch" on the nut -- thats what "staked" means - so you need to pry that apart if you haven't already

sorry for poor picture quality. my camera is a little possessed sometimes

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

yah i figured that part out now but im 1/2" driveless at the moment and bought to go across town b/c AZ ran out of breaker bars

Comment

Working...
                              X