Axle to long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle to long?

I recently had the H22 swap done in my 1990 Accord. I was wondering if anybody hafd any problems with the axle being too long. when I got it back from the shop, I would have shuddering when I would turn the wheel to the left. the faster I would be going, the harder it would be or under hard accleration, it would also occur. The shop that did it said that the other accord that they did swaps into didn't have an LSD(he said mines comes with one) I don't have the type-s but he told me that whoever had the motor/tranny before put one on thier. He used the axles and intermediate shaft for a manual 1990 Honda Accord. He told me too call drive shaft shop and see what they could do. I called them and they told me that they can custom make me one for $200. I can work with that, but I was just wondering if anybody had this problem and if so, what set up did you use? He told me that he was on the phone with Hasport for a couple of hours trying to figure out any soultions. He thinks that its definetly that axle being too long. any input is appreciated.

I thought your suppose to use the axles from the lude with this swap.......... Maybe I'm just imagining that though.

Comment

When I got the swap, axles did come with it but when the shop put them on, he told me that they were binding up. I'm just wondering if there is soem kinda combo of axles and intermediate shaft I can use. Would an LSD have anything to do with an axle being too long though?

Comment

If you used the h22 tranny, do you know if you used the h22 or f22 intermediate shaft?

The easiest way is to use the f22(accord) intermediate shaft, and then use both accord axles.

It is possible to use the prelude intermediate shaft, but then you have to use the first part of a prelude axle, and then mate that up to the other half of an accord axle. (for drivers side) passenger side would just be a regular accord axle.

Since it seems that your axles are too long, you have the prelude axles in there, they wont work, and get the accord ones in there ASAP. As said above, you will have to get the accord intermediate shaft to make it easy.

Comment

The problem is that I already have the Accord axles. everythign that I have on thier is from a 1990 Honda Accord manual transmission (Both Axles and intermidiate shaft) so the answer to your question aero is yes I did use the F22 intermediate shaft. I'm also wondering if you have an LSD in your tranny fi that will play a role in the axles/axle being too long?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990HybridCB7
            The problem is that I already have the Accord axles. everythign that I have on thier is from a 1990 Honda Accord manual transmission (Both Axles and intermidiate shaft) so the answer to your question aero is yes I did use the F22 intermediate shaft. I'm also wondering if you have an LSD in your tranny fi that will play a role in the axles/axle being too long?
            LSD would not have anything to do with it. The axles are the same either way.

Does it only happen when turning left? Maybe the tranny is low on fluid, or could be a bad LSD unit. Look at the front of your tranny, and there should be a code on it, post up what code it is.

Comment

Yea I know the axles are gonna be the same I was just wondering if a different axle will probabaly be shorter because he told me its like an inch too long. Yea, it only happens when I turn left and is louder(shudders more) the more I turn it to the left or the faster I'm going when I'm turning to the left, it'll also make that noise under hard accleration,to the right its normal. Would that be a symptom of a bad LSD? I doubt I'm low on fluid, he filed it up and it hasn't been leaking so it shouldn't be low on fluid. I looked at the front of the tranny and this was the only code I found, M2B4-4003984. Don't know if its right, I just went outside real quick and took a look at the code I saw on top, if its on the bottom I'll have to get that another day(its dark and cold outside now).

Comment

Swap the axles around might have got them mixed up. Usually ones longer than the other that might help a lil.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                  Swap the axles around might have got them mixed up. Usually ones longer than the other that might help a lil.
                  yeah, accord axles are shorter than prelude ones. He could have gotten them mixed up.

What side is it that is too long?

and m2b4 means it is indeed a stock lsd trans.

Comment

Nice, so I have an LSD on there? I thought the type-s were the only ones that came with an LSD? I'll ask him tomorrow if he had tried to swap them around. I didn't ask him whcih side was the side that was too long either. So since thier is an LSD on thier, is it a legitimate LSD or some kind of BS LSD?

Comment

Nice, so I have an LSD on there? I thought the type-s were the only ones that came with an LSD? I'll ask him tomorrow if he had tried to swap them around. I didn't ask him whcih side was the side that was too long either. So since thier is an LSD on thier, is it a legitimate LSD or some kind of BS LSD?
                      it should be the stock lsd... a good lsd. Well which side vibrates when you turn?

Comment

what motor mounts did they use? also, the car wasnt previously automatic, was it?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

"Well which side vibrates when you turn?" Its too hard to pin point which side it is. It happens when I turn to the left. I just wish I would've asked which side it was that was too long. "it should be the stock lsd... a good lsd" So why do you say its the stock LSD aero?

Comment

what motor mounts did they use? also, the car wasnt previously automatic, was it?
                            They used the same mounts on the front and drivers side, passenger was from a 95 manual prelude, the rear was also the same 1990 Accord mount? Do you think that might have somethign to do with it? Yea the car was an automatic before.

Comment

"Well which side vibrates when you turn?" Its too hard to pin point which side it is. It happens when I turn to the left. I just wish I would've asked which side it was that was too long. "it should be the stock lsd... a good lsd" So why do you say its the stock LSD aero?

well, that transmission came with a stock LSD. I cant guarantee that its stock, I guess its possible that a previous owner burnt it up somehow, and replaced it with an aftermarket, but you usually dont hear about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X