CB7 V6 Swap Parts List & Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torqstr
    well this may just be my opinion, but unless it's a straight-six I'm not very impressed by it. V6 engines are hard to maintain, hard to work on, and don't have the power-band of a straight-block engine. I'd go straight-block all the way, so unless you can cram a 280ZX engine in your Accord I'd steer clear, but once again that's just a personal opinion based on ease of use, ease of maintenance, and all around performance.

Have you ever dealt with the J-series?

Because personally, it is MORE compact than an F22, (an inch narrower by the time you account for intake and exhaust manifolds), which makes for MORE room in the bay than an I-4.

I can get behind the rear bank of BOTH of my mom's V6 Accords better than I could get around a similarly equipped 4 cylinder.

The engine doesn't weigh much more. It makes plenty of low end torque, and pulls all the way to the 7000RPM rev limit.

It is a significant upgrade in terms of power delivery, smoothness, and all around driving.

Having dealt with the king of straight sixes (BMW) it is every bit as smooth, powerful and sounds every bit as good with an exhaust system.

Not to mention this. Show me another stock Honda engine that will lay down 300+ WHP at 4.5lbs of boost.

And it gets better MPG, and BONE stock , a J30A5 will pull my mom's fully loaded EX V6 (3500lbs empty) just as quickly, if not quicker than my H22 swapped Accord.

And it will KILL my car on the highway.

Oh yeah. It's also an auto.

As long as the weights are even remotely similar, enough weight could be saved using other methods to offset the difference.

What little bit may remain could be taken care of in the suspension setup.
    Last edited by owequitit; 05-09-2007, 10:43 PM.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

owequitit: I stand humbled. I have no experience with Honda V6 motors, I was simply going off of my typical V6 encounters.

I guess Honda V6 motors can be a good thing, I just usually think that twice the manifolds, twice the heads, etc... equal twice the trouble, lol.
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

Comment

I guess Honda V6 motors can be a good thing, I just usually think that twice the manifolds, twice the heads, etc... equal twice the trouble, lol.
        Nope, just twice the fun

Originally posted by Maple50175
        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

owequitit: I stand humbled. I have no experience with Honda V6 motors, I was simply going off of my typical V6 encounters.

Honda V6's are just as reliable as their 4 cylinders.

And honestly, they have typical Honda power delivery, and they SOUND awesome!

Unfortunately, V6 are not all created equal, and the Pushrod turds that Ford, GM, and Chrysler produced for years and years aren't even in the same league as the J series.

I guarantee if you experience a 2003+ Accord V6, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Just got word back.

The J30A1 weighs about 400lbs.

Coincidentally, so does the H22.

I got a shipping estimate, which most likely included the crate.

So, one could logically deduce that the difference between the two is less than 50lbs, although I bet it is within 30.

Leave the accessories off, and the J Accord would weigh less than a fully loaded H22 Accord.

Use a Carbon fiber hood, and they would be really close.

I believe the J30A4/A5 are a little lighter still because they have no exhaust manifolds per se, and the IM is made of magnesium.

The J35 and the J32 both weigh within a few pounds of a J30.

So you could conceivably have a 6 speed CB7 with 300HP and an LSD, without making 1 single thing not OEM Honda.

Of course if you open it up exhaust and intake wise, with the J35 in the RL or TL-S, you could be looking at close to 300WHP with bolt ons

The stock TL-S dynos between 250-260WHP.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
              Of course if you open it up exhaust and intake wise, with the J35 in the RL or TL-S, you could be looking at close to 300WHP with bolt ons

The stock TL-S dynos between 250-260WHP.

i just slobbered all over my keyboard...

im waiting for summer work to get another CB, so I can have a mule to work with...lets c where this goes...
              DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
                i just slobbered all over my keyboard...

im waiting for summer work to get another CB, so I can have a mule to work with...lets c where this goes...
                oh yea, i just found another 91 about 20 mins from my house and the only thing wrong with it is the tranny, and its only $800 with what looks to be a no rust body. im thinking about purchasing so i have a car to drive around in if i go v6, im really hoping i have the time this summer and can get a job that will pay enough for it because it will be awesome

Comment

Just got an email back.

J30A1 = 375lbs ship weight

Trying to get the info on the H22, but I KNOW it is somewhere between 350-380lbs.

Dammit. I knew I should have weighed my H.

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
                    i support the idea for new things and such but why dont you just start with a V6 Honda Motors of America Car ? 88-07 ?

I would consider an 06+ Accord 6 speed, the TL, or the Legend GS 6 speed sedan.

But those all weigh significantly more than a CB7. Plus, the cheapest of the 3 is the Legend GS, which is still running 10-11K for a nice one.

Besides, it is the challenge, and the unexpected.

At one point in time, everyone thought it would be impossible to put an H22 into a CB7.

If you don't push the frontiers, they don't advance.

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
                      i support the idea for new things and such but why dont you just start with a V6 Honda Motors of America Car ? 88-07 ?

...to boldly go where no CB has gone before
                      DEVOTE

Comment

looks like i might go this route instead of a K but still undecided cause it would be sick to have either but i want a supercharger and a V6 lol

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                        1992 Accord EX Coupe
                        My FS Thread
                        Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Why swap an H22 into an Accord?

Why not just buy a car with an H22 stock?

Also, why would someone want to do this?

The engine doesn't seem to be significantly heavier, the LOWEST powered version, has as much HP as the highest powered NON Type S H22, AND it has 30+lb/ft more torque than ANY H22.

Of course if you step up to a J30A4, it has a little MORE WHP than a Type S H22, and 48 lb/ft MORE torque than an H22 Type S.

And with the equivalent and proper 6 speed LSD transmission, it will get better MPG.

And it sounds cooler.

And it runs on regular 87 octane, or it will make more power on 91 octane (J30A4).

If you upgrade to a 3.5L, you can add another 30-45lb ft and up to another 60HP to the J30A4's numbers.

That makes a CB7 with up to 300HP (250-260 WHP) that makes an extra 30-100 lb/ft TQ (roughly 230 WTQ), gets better gas mileage, is 100% OEM, which means perfect reliability (assuming you fabricate everything the right way), and has a 6 speed manual.

Also, I should mention, that my mom's 2006 gets better MPG than my H22, despite weighing 500-600lbs more. If you had that same engine in a CB7, you could expect a few MPG increase, just due to weight savings. Hers is an auto. So with a manual, you could expect an additional few MPG as well.

So we are left with a CB7 that with a factory stock engine, produces a power to weight ration of as low as 10:1 (nearing supercar territory), and has no real weight penalty, gets better MPG, and sounds cooler.

Also, I forgot to mention. With bolt ons, the J30A4 6 speed in a CM coupe (03-07) is about as quick as an EVO VIII.

20-30WHP is the norm for an exhaust. 10-15 is the norm for an intake. A few HP results from a TB spacer. 8-10 WHP is the norm for an underdrive crank pulley. And if you can find a suitable tuning solution, another 8-10HP is locked up in there.

So with bolt ons, you could take a J30A4 to roughly 250-260WHP with bolt ons.

Not to mention the fact that other than the NSX, every V6 powered Honda/Acura since 1998 has used some version of this engine, meaning they are far more plentiful than the H22.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                            20-30WHP is the norm for an exhaust.
                            really!!!!...thats a lot....
                            DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
                              really!!!!...thats a lot....
                              Depending on how you do it, yes it is possible.

The older J series without the integral manifolds seemed to benefit more from exhaust changes, but the new ones still do pretty good.

A catback helps some, but the downpipe, the merge collector, and the cats is where most of the the power really is.

If you saw the full stock exhaust sytem, you would understand.

Comment

why o why did i sell my CB...
                                I had no idea the honda V6's were putting out those kinds of numbers. Makes the nissans look sickly. theres alot of nay sayers on the nissan boards.
                                Last edited by onyx10; 05-11-2007, 03:13 PM.

"...B*tch got out the car lookin more like Freddy Jackson"

Comment

Working...
                                X