AC and Alternator belt problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC and Alternator belt problems

So I had my H22 swapped about 5k ago and yesterday my Alternator belt started to split. I took it to a shop and they said that it was because the AC pully has one less rib then the alternator pully. what is the fix for this cause the sticky dosn;t really say? Thanks
    My Ride

Originally posted by djcb
    So I had my H22 swapped about 5k ago and yesterday my Alternator belt started to split. I took it to a shop and they said that it was because the AC pully has one less rib then the alternator pully. what is the fix for this cause the sticky dosn;t really say? Thanks
    The AC Compressor, Alternator, and Crank Pulley on the Prelude have pullies with one more rib than the corresponding parts off of the Accord. When you swap, you have to figure out how you are going to run things; the easiest way to do it is to run all Prelude belts and pullies or all Accord belts and pullies. If you mix and match, then you have to use the thinnest belt (4 rib instead of 5) that you have, and you need to go to a parts store and try to work out which belt you need, because you can't just say "I need a AC/Alt belt for a 1992 Accord" because they are not long enough.

There is another thread around here where someone was having the same problem, you might ask them what belt they used. I think it might have been in the Beginners Tech forum.
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

thanks man, I found the other post and it sounds like its really the same issue, does anyone know if you can easily switch the accord ac pully to a prelude pully without swapping the whole compressor, or if I just need to get a prelude ac compressor with the prelude pully.
      My Ride

Comment

I dont know but after i did my swap i reused my accord stuff including my accord belts my alternator is adjusted all the way up i think cant take pis right know since its rainning

Comment

Just use a 4 rib (Accord) and make sure its wrapped tight and aligned with the proper ribs. If its not it will be off alignment and split.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            Just use a 4 rib (Accord) and make sure its wrapped tight and aligned with the proper ribs. If its not it will be off alignment and split.
            what he said you sould be good

Comment

Yeah, on mine (accord AC, prelude Alt and crank) I used a stock alt/ac belt, leaving the outer most rib open (ie, having the belt all the way towards the pass. side). But the alternator is adjusted all the way up, and sometimes still squeals, so I need to go one size smaller next time.
              -Josh

91 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed (daily/project) - JDM H22A swap
              91 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 5-speed 2.3L (broke)

Comment

i just bypassed the ac for now using just a 6 rib belt for the alt since its so dam cold out anyway. im gonna try to replace the ac pully with a prelude one once it gets warmer. doing the 5 rib belt with the 6 rib pullys only lasted for 5k so i think its worth it to try to do it 6 rib all around
                My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by slammedteg91
                  Yeah, on mine (accord AC, prelude Alt and crank) I used a stock alt/ac belt, leaving the outer most rib open (ie, having the belt all the way towards the pass. side). But the alternator is adjusted all the way up, and sometimes still squeals, so I need to go one size smaller next time.
                  mines the same way. And it has lasted me since april of last year. So far so good. But for the belt being to long issue i just took some washers and put them in between the bolt and plate that you use to adjust the alternator tension and it worked fine. No splits for me

Comment

Originally posted by djcb
                    i just bypassed the ac for now using just a 6 rib belt for the alt since its so dam cold out anyway. im gonna try to replace the ac pully with a prelude one once it gets warmer. doing the 5 rib belt with the 6 rib pullys only lasted for 5k so i think its worth it to try to do it 6 rib all around

you cannot just "replace" the ac pulley...its not JUST a pulley, it is an electromagnetic clutch assembly, so the ac can turn off or on. I am sure you can mess around with different pulleys, but that doesn't meant hat they will fit, work or shim up the same as the correct one.
                    On every swap I have done over the past 8 years that had as, I installed a 5 rib belt without an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X