Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you convert a motor from OBD II to OBD I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you convert a motor from OBD II to OBD I?

Ok so I've had my car for nearly a year now and I think my engine is on it's last leg (at least I think it is anyway). Besides that I've been wanting to do a swap for a real good while (I'm hoping if not Spring then probably during the Summer), and with everyone jumping the h22 band wagon I looked to the possiblity of one motor.

The H23 DOHC VTEC, now I know this motor is available thru hmotorsonline.com for 1800 plus 275 shipped..and since it's only the long block I know that it doesn't come with a transmission just the wiring harness, ECU and other associated parts no power steering (since it came with an electric unit). And being that it is basically the base model Lude motor equipped with vtec II I had a couple of questions.

What transmission can be used?

And how do I convert an OBD II motor to run as an OBD I?

If it's complicated I may just get an h22 but I'd rather get some feed back from you guys before I make my final decision.

I don't know of any other forum that could cover much more on this specific motor such as:

What parts can be swapped?
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

im pretty sure its just like an h22 so you should be able to use and H and F trans from the accord and lude and to convert it just use your f22 harness add vtec, vtec pressure, knock sensor, iabs and get some obd1 h22 injectors or if you want you can cut the clips off and use obd2 clips on the f22 harness like im doing

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
    1992 Accord EX Coupe
    My FS Thread
    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

You buy obd1 parts and throw it on the obd2 or you buy an ob2-1 harness.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

what car is this going into, obd1 or 2?

if its obd2, run the motor obd2,

if the car is obd1 and its required to 'downgrade' the motor, its very simple.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by almostJDM
          im pretty sure its just like an h22 so you should be able to use and H and F trans from the accord and lude and to convert it just use your f22 harness add vtec, vtec pressure, knock sensor, iabs and get some obd1 h22 injectors or if you want you can cut the clips off and use obd2 clips on the f22 harness like im doing
          This man has done it ^

But basically there is not much to be done.
          For distributor either:
          1. Get a OBD-I dizzy
          or
          2. Get a OBD-II to OBD-I dizzy wiring harness from passwordjdm <--this is what I will be doing.

Fuel injectors:
          Get OBD-I injectors
          or
          Swap OBD-II clips to your harness and bypass the resistor box.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

im glad this thread is here because im getting the h23 vtec also after taxes hopefully
            Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
            Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
            JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

sorry if this is thread jacking but ...

I recently got my new H22A that i ordered but on arrival I notice that it isnt an OBD1 H22 its an OBD2 now the auction was for an OBD1 H22 so I am waiting to see if the seller is gonna fix this or not. but i am actually thinking of keeping the motor since A. its a later model motor which means less wear and tear B. I dont want to deal with the hassel of unloading another motor and C. I just want to start on it already.

now i have all the parts needed to convert to OBD1 from my old H but it seems some new light has come to me about my motor. It seems that the injectors in my motor were replaced for OEM injectors instead of JDM which means the flow is 290 instead of 340 (which could explain why my motor blew up since i had the base map made with 340 injectors) so I would like to keep the new injectors. Noow also with my motor came a complete wiring harness including the injector resistor box can i use this?

can someone post a link of how to switch the OBD2 injector clips over?

Comment

290cc injectors must be run with the 97+ fuel pressure regulator, they run at high pressure and flow around 310cc
                92-96 injectors, the 340s run at low pressure and flow at 310cc.

to change from obd1 to obd2 clips or vice versa....you just cut the clips off and solder the new ones on. its nothing magical. also make sure you use the resistor box with the 92-96 injectors and use no resistor for the 97+ ones.

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92
                  sorry if this is thread jacking but ...

I recently got my new H22A that i ordered but on arrival I notice that it isnt an OBD1 H22 its an OBD2 now the auction was for an OBD1 H22 so I am waiting to see if the seller is gonna fix this or not. but i am actually thinking of keeping the motor since A. its a later model motor which means less wear and tear B. I dont want to deal with the hassel of unloading another motor and C. I just want to start on it already.

now i have all the parts needed to convert to OBD1 from my old H but it seems some new light has come to me about my motor. It seems that the injectors in my motor were replaced for OEM injectors instead of JDM which means the flow is 290 instead of 340 (which could explain why my motor blew up since i had the base map made with 340 injectors) so I would like to keep the new injectors. Noow also with my motor came a complete wiring harness including the injector resistor box can i use this?

can someone post a link of how to switch the OBD2 injector clips over?
                  If you have an OBD-II motor and OBD-II wiring harness there should not be a resistor box.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                    If you have an OBD-II motor and OBD-II wiring harness there should not be a resistor box.

unless its a 96...

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
                      unless its a 96...

I was fixing to say ... because i know its an OBD-II motor simply because of the map on top of the thottle body and the clips on the injectors but the wiring harness with it has a resistor box ...

now you say unless its a 96 .... now does that mean i need to run a resistor box with it or not since it has a resistor box on the harness?

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92
                        I was fixing to say ... because i know its an OBD-II motor simply because of the map on top of the thottle body and the clips on the injectors but the wiring harness with it has a resistor box ...

now you say unless its a 96 .... now does that mean i need to run a resistor box with it or not since it has a resistor box on the harness?

the 96 is obd2 with an h22a1, so it has the peak hold injectors and needs the resistor box if you use 92-96 injectors. it has the 97+ style oil pump and distributor though.

Comment

This might sound dumb, but why convert it to OBDI?

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                          Honda Accord Euro-R
                          Honda Odyssey Absolute
                          Honda City I-DSi
                          Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335
                            This might sound dumb, but why convert it to OBDI?

tuning

my conversion requires a jumper harness (rywire, passwordjdm, boomslang), obd-i injectors, 2wire IACV, p28 and some sort of tuning program

this is all assuming its manual
                            Last edited by BadgerType; 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM.

174.92 BHP / 171.45 WTQ

Comment

I don't want to thread jack, but i am in a similar situation. I have a 99 h22a4 and need to know what injectors to use. My car is a 92 accord ex. Since my car is obd1 can i use injectors from a 94 h22? If so, what size are they?
                              Last edited by Asimo5767; 02-12-2008, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X