EGR voltage reading only 5 volts.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR voltage reading only 5 volts.....

Recently my check engine light came on. So I flashed the ECU and pulled a egr valve code. I checked the voltage on the egr connector and I only have 5 volts . I thought It was supposed to get a 12 volt signal from the ecu. Could it possible be a problem with the ecu or is it supposed to be 5 volts power to the egr. Thanks in advance...
    "Wise people treasure knowledge, but the babbling of a fool invites disaster" Proverbs 10:14

almost all sensors on our cars work on 5v signals some have 12v power but ecu's usually especially when it comes to sensors 5 volts. remember that things in cars are ground controlled so source power is usually not given from the ecu it comes from somewhere else.

as far as your egr problem you may just want to clean out your egr system. or remove your egr and make sure it is moving internally.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
    member ride thread
    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Thanks dude, that's what i was hoping. I had been reading a few manuals and the chiltons said it was 12 volts. That seemed a little high to me but I figured i'd ask around before I made a move on anything.
      "Wise people treasure knowledge, but the babbling of a fool invites disaster" Proverbs 10:14

Comment

Depends on the sensor. But as mentioned most have a 5v reference. Some dont.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I just checked mine CEL again. I just looked in the DIY section for the TPS fix, did that and my car was idling fine. Then I drove it for about 5 minutes and the CEL just came back on Now not only am I getting a 7-TPS code, Im getting a 12-EGR code. Apparently I will have to replace the TPS, but can the idle adjuster screw cause the EGR valve to throw a code?
          Last edited by JTEK24; 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM.
          My CB For Sale

Comment

no its an unrelated system and the idle screw has nothing to do with the egr.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
            member ride thread
            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Working...
            X