Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so who's ever installed an exhaust while on jackstands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so who's ever installed an exhaust while on jackstands?

just wondering who, and if so, how much of a bitch it was to install a catback with the car lifted on just jackstands. i've been waiting to install mine, but i can't find anyone to let me use their lift should i just wait and keep looking, or don't even bother and just slap it on in my driveway?

I got mine made so they installed mine on the lift =P. Haha anyway I would recommend another set of stands if your one manning it. Main reasons?

1. Acts as an extra pair of hands for "support"
    2. Make life somewhat easier.

The driveway method is ok its just gonna take you a bit longer but you can get it done. The bitch is fittin under the car. Cat backs arent too bad just get your pb blaster ready and your jams on lol.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

start PB blastering it now so it soaks in

i did mine on jackstands. unbolted the 3 cat bolts, undid the hangers and pulled it all out in one piece. threw the new one on in one piece as well. 10 min max

Comment

i did.. on 2pairs of jackstands.. just get yourself a breaker bar short enough to fit under the car, pb blaster(generously apply it on the nuts/bolts atleast 24hrs beforehand) and a nice pair eye protection goggles..

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          I got mine made so they installed mine on the lift =P. Haha anyway I would recommend another set of stands if your one manning it. Main reasons?

1. Acts as an extra pair of hands for "support"
          2. Make life somewhat easier.

The driveway method is ok its just gonna take you a bit longer but you can get it done. The bitch is fittin under the car. Cat backs arent too bad just get your pb blaster ready and your jams on lol.

haha, im a small dude, so fitting under the car shouldn't be that big of a problem. i'm gonna set the car on 4 stands, and probably use a cinder block or something to use for support

Comment

heres a tip...use wd40 on the rubber exhaust hangers, makes slipping them on and off a ton easier
            Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
            Project 240SX
            Originally posted by chillin943
            anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
            Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
              heres a tip...use wd40 on the rubber exhaust hangers, makes slipping them on and off a ton easier
              cool, i have all new hangers, so they would be a bitch to get on w/ out some sort of lube

Comment

its doable with one jackstand on the passenger side . just put it fairly and check and make sure everything is safe...the more times you do it the easier it gets.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                  its doable with one jackstand on the passenger side . just put it fairly and check and make sure everything is safe...the more times you do it the easier it gets.

hmm, you think it'll be safe with just 2 stands on the passenger's side front and rear?

Comment

oh yeah I do that all the time. However its just as safe as the user lets it be. Make sure its flat and level, the wheels are chocked, the car is in gear and the brake is on. and use common sense when placing the jack stands and stuff under the car. I always put a wheel or two under the car when im under there in a safe place, so that if something were to happen it would land on the wheel. Also not a bad idea to have the jack somewhere on the chassis as well just as a 3rd point.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
                      haha, im a small dude, so fitting under the car shouldn't be that big of a problem. i'm gonna set the car on 4 stands, and probably use a cinder block or something to use for support
                      I r not small. But I have 4 2 ton stands anyway I just jack it up on all 4s and do it if it was me. Or jack the rear high as hell and support it with my 6 ton stands but my jack has to jack it up that high first lol.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                        oh yeah I do that all the time. However its just as safe as the user lets it be. Make sure its flat and level, the wheels are chocked, the car is in gear and the brake is on. and use common sense when placing the jack stands and stuff under the car. I always put a wheel or two under the car when im under there in a safe place, so that if something were to happen it would land on the wheel. Also not a bad idea to have the jack somewhere on the chassis as well just as a 3rd point.
                        i have an auto, so park should suffice and for sure i'm going to have more then the 2 jacks as safeties. i'll probably use blocks of would and my full spare, and whatever else i can find

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                          I r not small. But I have 4 2 ton stands anyway I just jack it up on all 4s and do it if it was me. Or jack the rear high as hell and support it with my 6 ton stands but my jack has to jack it up that high first lol.
                          i've only got 2 2-ton jacks that go up to 13" or something. not high at all, but i think it's good enough for 2 perches on the stands

Comment

I have....eh it's a bitch, but not the biggest bitch, yeah pb blaster...they've already gotten the main points

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                            where you been, is something wrong?
                            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

do me a favor and dont use cinder blocks.

i did an exhaust on rhino ramps before.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X