Help with lost of Power Steering fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with lost of Power Steering fluid?

Well every thing was working fine til 2 weeks ago. I notice the steering wheel is harder to turn. Check the Fluid and it was below level. Fill it up and it was back to normal for a day. Next day I check the fluid level and it was below level again. I checked for leaks and there this hose that looks wet. I replace that. It's call the return hose for power steering. It still didn't fix it. It so hard to turn a corner. Really need your help guys.

Just make sure when you are filling up the power steering level, you are only using honda power steering fluid. Other kinds will eat away the seals of the pump, thats what happened to me.

Comment

Bump, I searched and found this thread. When do you check the power steering fluid, ie when the motor is on, off, before it has been started for the day or when? And do you check it with the front wheels pointed straight ahead, turned fully in one direction, or any?

Comment

Engine at NOT
        Engine Off
        Steering Wheel Straight
        Vehicle on Level Surface.
        USE ONLY HONDA PS FLUID.
        Bleed Steering by turning wheels from lock to lock.
        Check for Internal PS Rack Leaks as well. Remove the PS Rack Boots, if there is PS Fluid in the Boots then you hav an internal leak.

Comment

Cool, so engine off and wheels straight. I saw HONDA power steering fluid at autozone, and was confused. It says HONDA on it, but its not the OEM HONDA fluid. It's in a black bottle. I'll pick up some OEM fluid tomorrow and refill it. My power steering fluid is low, but when the car is on it raises.

Comment

There is an aftermarket brand of power-steering fluid designed for Honda systems. Bardahl is the brand-name, in a black container with yellow/green/white label on it, if they haven't changed the appearance. Some auto parts stores have it. I have been using it for years with no issues on ALL 7 of our Hondas.

There is also a brand-name "GUNK" that sells Honda specified power-steering fluid.
            Last edited by HondaFan81; 01-29-2006, 07:33 PM.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
              My power steering fluid is low, but when the car is on it raises.
              That's why it is so important not to overfill the reservoir. You'll notice there is two level markers. With engine off the correct level should be below the top maker, when the engine is running @ NOT it will rise to the top marker.

Comment

i use HONDA ONLY but it drinks over time. i d k why. i can't seem to find a leak..
                hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by FishyMan
                  i use HONDA ONLY but it drinks over time. i d k why. i can't seem to find a leak..
                  From Post #4
                  Check for Internal PS Rack Leaks as well. Remove the PS Rack Boots, if there is PS Fluid in the Boots then you hav an internal leak.

Comment

So fill up to the low notch when engine is off?? what is engine @ NOT??

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

With my rack, it doesn't seem to actively leak, if you watch it it won't leak, but the whole rack looks like it sweats I need a rack rebuild, but the leak is slow and I have been putting it off.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

NOT is normal operating temperature. F22-GURU is advising to warm up the car first than turn it off to get the proper level.

Originally posted by F22-GURU
                        Engine at NOT
                        Engine Off
                        Steering Wheel Straight
                        Vehicle on Level Surface.
                        USE ONLY HONDA PS FLUID.
                        Bleed Steering by turning wheels from lock to lock.
                        '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                        EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

TIP: For those who have to replace a PS Pump, Hose or PS Rack. After refilling the reservoir and starting the car, do not leave the engine idling while topping up. It only takes a matter of seconds for the PS Pump to run dry and fuck the internals. (That's what the whirring sound is).
                          This is the procedure I use when replacing PS Parts.

1. Fill Reservoir with Specified PS Fluid.
                          2. Start Engine and observe the Fluid level in reservoir.
                          3. When the level drops below LOW mark, switch engine off.
                          4. Top up Reservoir to Correct Level.
                          5. Repeat Step 2 - 4 until correct level is achieved.
                          6. Turn steering from Lock to Lock to bleed out air in system.
                          7. Let engine idle until PS Fluid settles. (PS Fluid may aerate)
                          8. Switch off and Top Up level if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                          X