Improve Mileage with new O2 Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improve Mileage with new O2 Sensor?

I just had a major tuneup - new wires, plugs, cap and rotor, oil change, valve cover gasket, distributor shaft seal and a couple of other things. My tires are properly inflated. The car idles at 850rpms, but, there after highway driving (like at a tollbooth), the idle doesn't drop immediately, it takes about 5-7 seconds to get down to 850rpm. I haven't cleaned the IACV in about 4 years (30K miles).

My mileage is still middling at best with an average of about 24-25mpg (average over several months) on the highway with speeds of 70-75 mph. I've read that many are getting better mpg than me.

Would replacing the 02 sensor (which has never been replaced) in 196K miles improve fuel economy?

it couldn't hurt, but are you 5 speed or automatic. Either way changing the tranny fluid couldn't hurt.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

5-speed, tranny fluid is new within 20k miles.

Comment

I have been thinking about trying this , I am not 100 percent sure it will work but it may be worth a shot.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Only if it is bad. The OS can be tested to see if it is in spec. Do some trouble shooting before you throw money at your car.
          Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

Originally posted by Old School
            Only if it is bad. The OS can be tested to see if it is in spec. Do some trouble shooting before you throw money at your car.
            That's why I'm asking, rather than just replacing. How do you test the 02 sensor - it's not listed in the Haynes.

Comment

Originally posted by doylna
              That's why I'm asking, rather than just replacing. How do you test the 02 sensor - it's not listed in the Haynes.

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
              To determine if the oxygen sensor really failed , turn on the car and let it idle & acquire a voltmeter. Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector and do this exercise. Increase the idle speed of the vehicle and check the voltage reading. The reading should be in between 0.5 volts to 1.0 volts. When you decrease the idle the voltage reading should be in between 0.0 to 0.4 volts. If the oxygen sensor fails within these exercise , replace it with and OEM replacement.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
              1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
              2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
              2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
              2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

If you want to know more about o2 sensors this is a pretty good link.....

o2 LINK
                Last edited by Old School; 04-24-2008, 02:41 AM.
                Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                  Awesome. Thanks very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Old School
                    If you want to know more about o2 sensors this is a pretty good link.....

o2 LINK
                    That is a great link - thanks very the find.

Comment

Good info here guys, great job.
                      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

but if you own an EX CB7, where the O2 is in the downpipe, how would you check the voltage and rev the engine at the same time?

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

i have a ex and the o2 is under the car not in the downpipe??

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                            but if you own an EX CB7, where the O2 is in the downpipe, how would you check the voltage and rev the engine at the same time?
                            get a friend to help?
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by NorcoAccord
                              I have been thinking about trying this , I am not 100 percent sure it will work but it may be worth a shot.
                              Thanks for the link, too bad they want so much for that, sounds similar to adding acetone to the gas though...smoother idle, lower emissons, and about 3-4 mpg gain.

Comment

Working...
                              X