H23 Tensioner Conv ate timing belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23 Tensioner Conv ate timing belt?

Right now there is a 50/50 chance my H22 is good or not. One morning my engine died on me as I rolled to a stop. Turns out it wasn't the ignition but my timing jumped due to a messed up timing belt. (belt was brand new)
    The belt looks perfect on the outside but the teeth on the inside of the belt is missing in like patches on different areas of the belt.

The dealer checked my valve clearance and they said it still looks good...but now they need to check the compression and do a leakdown. They basically freaked out with the H23 tensioner conversion on the H22.

Right now they are saying the H23 tensioner conversion needs to go. They are claiming that this is what caused my timing belt to shred in the first place. They attempted to put a new prelude timing belt on the car...but they said it's REALLY tight and the tensioner itself is all the way out providing no adjustment whatsoever. I'm really skeptical the H23 conversion did this as lots of people have been doing this conversion for years. I'm just stumped on what caused my belt to get eaten up like that?

My cam gears and pulleys are in good order and none of the teeth look like it could've caused it. On the outside of the belt the belt looks brand new still. Is it possible my manual tensioner went bad?

Anyone that did this conversion, how did you get the tensioner to adjust the belt? The dealer is saying that my tensioner is maxed all the way out... is this how it's supposed to be?
    Last edited by Kurobei; 05-14-2008, 05:16 AM.
    I need a custom turbo manifold built....
    707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
    "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
    '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Here is the link. H22 to H23 tensioner conv. diy.
    http://www.collectiveracing.net/crfo....php?topic=9.0

Check for what is missing and wrongly done.

Recommend H23 Timing belt and H22 or H23 Balance belt..
    1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
    2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
    3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
    4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
    5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Originally posted by accordmaniac
      Here is the link. H22 to H23 tensioner conv. diy.
      http://www.collectiveracing.net/crfo....php?topic=9.0

Check for what is missing and wrongly done.

Recommend H23 Timing belt and H22 or H23 Balance belt..
      Thanks I've actually looked over this before and actually printed it out for the mechanics to see since they think the setup is weird. Also my balancer belt is deleted. I'm hoping my engine is ok....otherwise this may be a good excuse to go K-series if my car has to sit...
      I need a custom turbo manifold built....
      707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
      "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
      '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

JUst cuz lots of people have done it for years does't mean you did it right. Shredded teeth are caused by improper tension OR another possiblty: seized cam/crank bearings. If they seize the bearing provides enough resistance to hold the cam/crank and cause it to skip.or eat teeth

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

it is normal for the belt to be tight because the main tensioner bearing is larger than the original H22 one. but still theres a SLIGHT bit of play room in the tensioner's range, so yes its tough to squeeze the belt on, but once its on, the tension will still be held properly.

im thinking there was something not put together quite right, perhaps the tensioner pulley is sitting at an angle and pulling the belt toward the inner side. you deleted the balance shaft belt... did you just remove the belt or anything else? you still need to have all the rest of the balance shaft's tensioner crap installed even if theres no belt.

sucks man but hopefully you lucked out... and just because its not normal doesnt mean the h23 tensioner is at fault... its probably improper installation, or some other weird issue...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

which belt did you use? h22 or the h23 one?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

I opted not to do this.. I didn't feel comfortable with how tight the belt is and I feel it will effect its life, thus making it more pron to failure. That is just my opinion on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
                I opted not to do this.. I didn't feel comfortable with how tight the belt is and I feel it will effect its life, thus making it more pron to failure. That is just my opinion on the situation.
                Bah! I've had it for over 3 years with no probs. the belt is only tight to put on. once its over the cams you have some slack.
                FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7-R
                  Bah! I've had it for over 3 years with no probs. the belt is only tight to put on. once its over the cams you have some slack.
                  mine lasted 10 years stock with the auto tens before I changed it

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
                    mine lasted 10 years stock with the auto tens before I changed it
                    yes but the odds were against you. You got lucky. How many auto tensioner failure stories have you come across???? How many broken belts with an H23 tensioner conversion??
                    FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Had auto tensioner on both my motors without a hitch...
                      Kurobei check the clearances and the pulleys. Make sure nothing is bent.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

yes but the odds were against you. You got lucky. How many auto tensioner failure stories have you come across???? How many broken belts with an H23 tensioner conversion??
                        Thats not a Fair comparison, There are a hell of alot more people running auto because they come stock.
                        wat?

Comment

lol how many h23 tensioner conversion are there out there ... How many are out there with 100k How many cars are there out there with the auto tensioner. How many fail?

Comment

Working...
                          X