Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant temp gauge on dash...what is sensor called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant temp gauge on dash...what is sensor called?

When I got done putting the Cyl. Head back on the car. the Coolant temp gauge on the dash. went straight to the H reading. I know I either need the sensor or the connector on it, but the switch I got at the JY today, I spliced it and it still went straight to the H about 5 sec. after I turned the car on. So how do I know if I need the sensor in the cyl. head or the switch and wiring?

I have a feeling all the JY switches will do that since they're so OLD and the wiring is hard as plastic. But I couldn't find that part on Majestic Honda at all. Does anyone know what its called? I just want to buy a new one....I'm sick of finding crap ones at the JY.

middle sensor, see the red wire? I can't possibly splice the wire there. And this is the one I pulled at the JY today, it still has the brittle wire issue.
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-12-2008, 05:20 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

It is called a coolant temperature sender unit. Majestic Honda link below, part # 23:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SUB+CORD-CLAMP
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i was having this same problem. when i first finished the swap and started the car, it went straight to H.

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
      So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

I'd say try disconnecting that switch. If it stay at H, then there's a short or something else wrong, and not the fault of the switch.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
          I'd say try disconnecting that switch. If it stay at H, then there's a short or something else wrong, and not the fault of the switch.
          yeah when I unplug it, it plumits to the Cold on the gauge. I'm going to try getting it from a newer Honda, I'm pretty sure they're all the same for most Hondas, since its just a 1 wire switch for the dash. I'm also going to grab the sensor itself from the JY, well maybe a couple of them.

You don't think the Machine Shop hot tanking the cyl. head. w/ those sensors in there messed it up do you?

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

That sensor is 5 bucks from Napa BRAND NEW!!!!!
            -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Originally posted by customchord View Post
              That sensor is 5 bucks from Napa BRAND NEW!!!!!
              well the prob. is Idk if I need the sensor OR the plug, since my plug...the wiring kinda got frayed/cracked/brittle and I had to resolder a new plug on there.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Do you think the resistance of the solder is making it go up like that.
                -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Originally posted by customchord View Post
                  Do you think the resistance of the solder is making it go up like that.
                  Is it really THAT sensitive? through that tiny wire? Well if it is, then i'd probably use the crimp connectors on them. I used 60/40 Rosin Core solder, the ones for electronics, the very tiny gauge.

But I got some other sensors from the JY in the meantime, lol, which ones should I use...they're all pretty...heat stricken lol

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                    Is it really THAT sensitive? through that tiny wire? Well if it is, then i'd probably use the crimp connectors on them. I used 60/40 Rosin Core solder, the ones for electronics, the very tiny gauge.

But I got some other sensors from the JY in the meantime, lol, which ones should I use...they're all pretty...heat stricken lol

You're wasting time, this is any easy fix, should have been done already. Don't you have other issues to take care of? Get r done, want to hear how the motor runs with no problems. Of course, this isn't affecting its performance, but a good monitoring device.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                      You're wasting time, this is any easy fix, should have been done already. Don't you have other issues to take care of? Get r done, want to hear how the motor runs with no problems. Of course, this isn't affecting its performance, but a good monitoring device.
                      well it turned out it WAS the damn sensor that went bad. I popped one of those in there and the gauge now works. And as for the motor running:

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

yay sounds good, sounds strong, confident

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X