Help with transmission problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with transmission problem!

There really doesnt seem to be much on this site, or any other, about the inner workings of transmissions.

My M2A4 makes weird noises. Decelerating at the top of every gear, most notably third/fourth, I get this noise. I cant really describe it much more than that its not a grind, not a whine, but its somewhere in between. Doesnt make the noise under acceleration or steady speed cruising, just decelerating in gear. Its especially apparent on the highway since it does it in the middle of 5th too, but goes away completely around 60 or so. Since I have no idea what the inside of the transmission looks like, its all just magic and ponies between the input shaft and the diff, so any input is appreciated.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

From my experience they all did that, Once you get on the gas it went away. Its just how the gears are designed.

Comment

My trans. does the same thing, really bad in 1st gear and 2nd gear, makes the car really choppy. It's also really loud, and getting louder. I'm glad I have an M2B4 in the garage

Comment

You guys obviously dont know what noise Im takling about. This is not a normal noise. If it was, this thread wouldnt exist.
        To-Do List for Today
        Be Awesome

Comment

its really hard to say what it can or can't be. Manual transmissions are complicated pieces of design but with a service manual you should be able to look at one taken apart and try to locate your problem from there. I myself have replaced the internals of a manual tranny(m2b4) and its kind of hard to say what the problem is based off of what you are describing.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Well since its not a very common noise, Im having trouble accurately describing it. BUT I just went out and recorded a short video which is in the process of uploading as I type this. I dont know if the quality is good enough tho.
            To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

VIDEO.

Transcript: "Alright, lets see if you can hear it in 5th.
              Lets try 4th.
              K, if thats not good enough, Ill give you 3rd.
              And that is the noise.
              If you cant hear it, I dunno what to tell ya."
              To-Do List for Today
              Be Awesome

Comment

Most noticeable in 4th maybe some worn out gear of some sort would be my guess. But yea its internal and not normal.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

now isnt there a clearance between the gears and such? too much clearance would add to abnormal wear and not enough clearance would mak a whining noise.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I would think something like that. As your driving I guess it somewhat compresses it together since you have part of the engine driving it but if you let off the gas you are using the gears in the trans to somewhat slow down. When you do that it might throw everything out of whack for a while. I dunno but it is definite something internal by the sound of it. If it were the input shaft and so on I would expect it to be constant but if its just within 2 gears I would say its either the gear inside or something is loose/out of spec in there. I dunno might be talkin out my ass but need to see the inside of the trans.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah, if you are for sure its the trans then you might just have to open it up and see if everything is within spec.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
                      X