X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car won't start, frustrated

i just got finished with a huge project which includes the following

- changing cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires
    - changing timing belt, balancer shaft belt, alternator belt (made sure everything was aligned)
    - mild wire tuck (everything is connected)
    - removed A/C and CC
    - changed oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid
    - new battery

my car won't start...it just keeps on cranking...the belts are turning..and i don't know why

thoughts?

Do the basic stuff first like check for fuel and spark, then go from there.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Wow there is a possibility for alot of stuff to go wrong with all that stuff. Make sure you got the cam timing correct for sure.

Comment

mine wouldn't start after I put a new head gasket in....it was b/c I was 3 teeth off on the cam gear, so yeah even though it rotates, you have to get that cam timing set correctly.

I had trouble tensioning the Tbelt. When it seemed like it was tensioned, it wasn't and would thereby get untensioned when I cranked it over.

But I eventually solved it. What you have to do is loosen the adjuster nut and then once you have everything lined up, turn the crank 3 teeth on the cam gear CCW and then snug the tensioner bolt up. Thats the proper way to do it. After I did that, it started perfect

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
          Do the basic stuff first like check for fuel and spark, then go from there.
          I know I have a spark since I checked it with a voltmeter. I also know that I have fuel. I found this out on accidently after realizing that I forgot to tighten the banjo bolt down on the fuel rail. Fuel came rushing out when I cranked it.

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          mine wouldn't start after I put a new head gasket in....it was b/c I was 3 teeth off on the cam gear, so yeah even though it rotates, you have to get that cam timing set correctly.

I had trouble tensioning the Tbelt. When it seemed like it was tensioned, it wasn't and would thereby get untensioned when I cranked it over.

But I eventually solved it. What you have to do is loosen the adjuster nut and then once you have everything lined up, turn the crank 3 teeth on the cam gear CCW and then snug the tensioner bolt up. Thats the proper way to do it. After I did that, it started perfect
          this might be a good idea.

I forgot to mention a few things that I did in addition to everything else.

- changed fuel filter, air filter
          - changed oil pan gasket
          - coolant flush
          - complete valve cover gasket kit (including lower seals)
          -

Comment

so I found the problem...

after researching a few threads, I realized that I put the distributor into the head 180 the other way. It started right up, but it sputtered and died after 5-10 seconds. Could this be my timing? I'm guessing it is.

I checked the timing marks on the flywheel as well as the ones on the cam. It's difficult to tell whether or not the marks on the cam line up to the edge of the head, but it appears so. How can I be exact?

Also the timing belt tension on one side of the cam seems to be tighter than the other side. Could this be the cause of my problem?

Comment

Working...
            X