Bad Wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Wheel bearings?

I have a sound coming from the front of my car. The best way to describe the sound is driving on worn tires/ road noise or driving on those rumble strips on the high way, the ones that are spaced out from each other. ( so the noise happens every half second or second. the sound is also not affected by speed in the sense that is if you speed up the sound doest sound faster its constant.

It doesn't happen at all speeds or more that if I adjust my speed I can make the sound go away.

I have a feeling that it is the wheel bearing but it seems that people always say you will hear a whine which I'm not experiencing.

Thanks.

Originally posted by 71_307 View Post
    I have a sound coming from the front of my car. The best way to describe the sound is driving on worn tires/ road noise or driving on those rumble strips on the high way, the ones that are spaced out from each other. ( so the noise happens every half second or second. the sound is also not affected by speed in the sense that is if you speed up the sound doest sound faster its constant.

It doesn't happen at all speeds or more that if I adjust my speed I can make the sound go away.

I have a feeling that it is the wheel bearing but it seems that people always say you will hear a whine which I'm not experiencing.

Thanks.
    Doesn't sound like wheel bearings.
    wat?

Comment

warped rotors
      UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
      NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

so if it was the wheel bearing it would be affected by speed ie that faster you drive the faster the sound?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 71_307 View Post
          so if it was the wheel bearing it would be affected by speed ie that faster you drive the faster the sound?

Thanks
          Usually Yeah.
          wat?

Comment

is there anything that would wear and make a nosie in the drive train ( feels like its coming from the wheels or steering though) that would not be affected by speed?

Thanks

Comment

Check your lower and upper ball joints as well as your outer tierod.
              wat?

Comment

lower ball joints and tie rods are new. upper ball joint is fine.

Comment

i have had random moments of odd noises coming from the front like: squeaking, a clicking when i hit a bump.
                  i know my wheel bearing are starting to get old. i have 265k on my car.
                  back at it again

Comment

are your wheels hot after a decent drive? hotter than usual? if its a wheel bearing your rim on the bad side will get hot to the touch. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door View Post
                      are your wheels hot after a decent drive? hotter than usual? if its a wheel bearing your rim on the bad side will get hot to the touch. good luck.
                      yeah most of the time unless i'm using the 97 se rims
                      back at it again

Comment

My wheels aren't hot after a drive but I will have to double check that. I am running 96 or 97 alloy lx wheels i believe.

Comment

What I would do is take the wheel(s) off to where you think the sound is coming from and just take a good visual inspection of that area. Chances are, you might see a part that's possibly rubbing on something else or a part that might be broken.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks for the help.. off to the shop I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                              What I would do is take the wheel(s) off to where you think the sound is coming from and just take a good visual inspection of that area. Chances are, you might see a part that's possibly rubbing on something else or a part that might be broken.
                              i'll do that when i can.
                              back at it again

Comment

Working...
                              X