Car died, replaced ignitor, now it's acting funny.. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car died, replaced ignitor, now it's acting funny.. HELP

I was driving back home from my school for the weekend, when my rpms dropped to 0 and the car died and then wouldn't restart. After a lot of hassle and towing, I finally got it towed to someone that would see me on a friday afternoon and they told me it was the ignitor that needed changing and I told them to go ahead and change it. As soon as I drove the car off the parking lot, I noticed a couple things. First of all, my exhaust sounded weak and sickly (I have a magnaflow exhaust) and the deep sound that I love was gone. Secondly, the acceleration seems really weak and even while revving my engine, it seems that the revs drop almost immediately after releasing the throttle. I was talking to my buddy about it and he was telling me that he had to get the starter (or something else, I can't really remember) changed in his CRX once, and he had the same problem afterwards (weaker acceleration, exhaust almost silent) and he went back to the place and it turned out that they had wired something wrong and the engine was misfiring. Is this even possible when changing the ignitor? At first I thought that they had blocked one of my exhaust pipes and forgot to unblock it, because that's basically how it feels... the throttle is stiffer, and the car sounds sick. I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas/advice.

Thanks.

Edit: I have a 92 auto ex-r.
    1992 Accord EX-R

hmm when my rmps droped it started to Backfire and then died. I replaced my altenator and all worked great. Im not sure if thats it but i would get it tested.

Comment

No, it was the ignitor (someone else actually had a similar problem on this forum a week or two ago). I'm just wondering why my car is accelerating so shitty now. And also, my ABS and parking brake lights came on today for a while and then turned off, so I don't know if that's unrelated (maybe I just need to add brake fluid) or if that's related to what they did (i.e. screwed something up electrically).
      1992 Accord EX-R

Comment

Is the engine missing? By missing I mean that one cylinder might not be firing? The engine will run really rough and be jerky and idle especially bad when it is warmed up.

Let us know if it is missing or if it is some other problem. Missing can actually be fairly easy to fix if that is the problem.

Comment

Ok, took it to the dealer today and he said it was actually an exhaust problem. Took it to the place i got my exhaust done and they said it was the catalytic converter. Got it replaced and now she purrs like a kitten. Guess it was completely unrelated to the ignitor thing... it just all happened at the same time.
          1992 Accord EX-R

Comment

Working...
          X