Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam seals... what else on the belt side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam seals... what else on the belt side?

I was just under my motor while replacing my clutch and was trying to track down my oil leak(s).

Anyway, 'bout time to replace my belts also.

So, if I'm going in there to replace my timing and accessory belts, might as well do the seals there too.

Besides the cam seals, what else is hiding on the belt side of the motor that I should replace?

thanks.
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

cam shaft seal u got that...

balancer shaft seal.

check condition of tentioner..

i got all mine done down there but not the oil pump....all good now.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

crankshaft seal
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

We have:
        crankshaft seal
        cam seal
        balancer shaft seal

Is that it for seals?

Anything with the oil or water pumps?

Comment

For this you'll need:

-Crank pulley tool
          -High powered impact gun or 24" extension and 4' breaker bar
          -Cam pulley seal
          -Crank pulley seal
          -Balance shaft seal and retainer clip
          -Balance shaft belt
          -Timing belt
          -Water pump
          -Antifreeze
          -Felpro valve cover gasket set
          -Assorted tools, floor jack, jack stands

The driver's side motor mount will have to be taken off, so be prepared to jack up the engine under the oil pan with a floor jack.

If your lower timing cover is saturated with oil, it will swell up and the crank pulley will cut gouges in it. Have a replacement handy or dirt will get in there and make a big mess.

While you have everything apart, you may as well replace your spark plug tube seals and adjust your valves. Change your oil, too. While you're down there, change your ATF.

Your best bet is contact mrhonda, he works for Honda Cars of McKinney in McKinney, TX. He can do these procedures in his sleep. He and I did my car this past May. Took all day including parts runs and other maintenance. With the right tools and the know-how it all could be done in about 2 hours; maybe less.
          Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
          2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
          2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
          2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Excellent information, thank you.

Water pump? As in replace the entire water pump?

As far as belts...

Will any store brand do or is this a situation where going Honda brand would be best?

I already figured going Honda for the timing belt and balancer belt, seemed to important to get cheap on.

Comment

Anybody on this?

Aftermarket seals or Honda seals?

Aftermarket accessory belts or Honda belts?

I already planned on the Honda timing and balancer belts.

Comment

Honda brand seals and Honda brand belts. I'm sure the aftermarket belts are fine and all, but as far as something as important as a timing belt, I'll go with the real deal.

Yes replace the water pump. You're going to be right there so you may as well do it anyway. If it fails just a little bit in the future, you'll have to pull apart all the work that you just did. Its roughly $65 or so at Honda. Look into buying some Hondabond too. Its expensive as all getout, but its worth every penny. A little will go a long way.

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Great, thanks for your help.

Comment

Not a problem. Just set a full day aside and do everything and get it done and over with.

Have fun!

Comment

balancer shaft seal!!!make sure you get that fucker. Mine went last november while I was out here at school, lost alot of oil everywhere and it sucked so bad.

Comment

Got it, balancer shaft seal.

Comment

and retainer clip!!! When you go to Honda, DEMAND one of those! There's a TSB for 94-97 Accords, and as we all know, have the same block as the 90-93s. Why they didn't do a TSB for ours is beyond me, but get it, get it, get it. It'll prevent the balance shaft seal from walking down the shaft and releasing oil all over the place.

Comment

Retainer clip, good call, forgot about that.

Wasn't there one for the camshaft seal also?

Comment

I used Hondabond to keep it all together. Works like a charm.

If you don't want to spend the Big Bucks on a small tube of Hondabond, ask if there's a clip. I don't recall there being one.

On one end there's the distributor, on the other end is the cam gear. Not much room for a clip like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X