motor died on the highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor died on the highway

i was cruising at about 65-70mph and all of a sudden the RPM's go to 0. the motor was still running, but i had no throttle feel or anything. i pulled over immediately and shut the car off. i checked everything i could. oil level was good and clean, battery connections good, no fluids leaking or anything, no broken belts. so after about 15-20 minutes i gave it a try starting it, it cranks but no start (hoping it would be just a main relay issue). no luck with that, so i called AAA for a tow and now im here at home.

i did install a pt6 ecu yesterday, but it ran fine last night (actually it ran great) and all day today up until the motor broke down. could it just be a coincidence, or should i swap the pt3 back in?

as far as i know, there were no other abnormal signs of anything going out on me.

Perhaps a stupid question, but isn't your gas cable broken? Because you're talking about no throttle respons.

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
    My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Originally posted by lo-specials View Post
      Perhaps a stupid question, but isn't your gas cable broken? Because you're talking about no throttle respons.
      but that wouldn't cause the car not to start would it?

Comment

damn that sux ..

not good @ trouble shooting so all i can say

is good luck

Comment

Originally posted by mIsS♥aCcORd_210 View Post
          damn that sux ..

not good @ trouble shooting so all i can say

is good luck
          thanks.

i have a feeling it might be the fuel pump, it's still got the original i believe. 4 years and about 70,000 miles later, this is the first time the cb7 has ever broken down on me

Comment

Originally posted by eriemoto. View Post
            thanks.

i have a feeling it might be the fuel pump, it's still got the original i believe. 4 years and about 70,000 miles later, this is the first time the cb7 has ever broken down on me

True, true. It seems like it.

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
            My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump. Also touch the main relay and feel for a click. Why didn't you try jump starting it on the highway with the clutch?

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheNight View Post
                Turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump. Also touch the main relay and feel for a click. Why didn't you try jump starting it on the highway with the clutch?
                it's an automatic. and it was hard to hear anything on a busy highway. i'm going to try diagnosing tomorrow, if it stops raining

Comment

Check for:

Spark
                  Fuel
                  Compression

Check the timing belt, Check and see if you are getting any spark from the plugs and listen for the fuel pump

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
                    Check for:

Spark
                    Fuel
                    Compression

Check the timing belt, Check and see if you are getting any spark from the plugs and listen for the fuel pump
                    indeed, it will be done.

this would have nothing to do with swapping in a pt6 ecu would it? just a coincidence that i happened to put it in the night before

Comment

That is just a concidence by the sound of it...

Comment

my rpms didnt shoot to zero when my fuel pump went out on me on the highway. possible alternator.
                        Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
                        -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Originally posted by cali-racer View Post
                          my rpms didnt shoot to zero when my fuel pump went out on me on the highway. possible alternator.
                          hmm, i was thinking that in the back of my mind too.. but would that cause a no start condition? i had all my lights and everything, so i'm sure the battery still had juice in it. not to mention it's only about 3 months old. plus the starter was working it's ass off while i was trying to crank it over, telling me i have battery power

Comment

Originally posted by eriemoto. View Post
                            hmm, i was thinking that in the back of my mind too.. but would that cause a no start condition? i had all my lights and everything, so i'm sure the battery still had juice in it. not to mention it's only about 3 months old. plus the starter was working it's ass off while i was trying to crank it over, telling me i have battery power
                            ur car will crank over if the alt. goes out aswell. but if its 3 months old then damn. lol i hate trouble shooting.
                            Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
                            -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Originally posted by cali-racer View Post
                              ur car will crank over if the alt. goes out aswell. but if its 3 months old then damn. lol i hate trouble shooting.
                              lol, i dont mind the troubleshooting, i just hate the rain. we had flood warnings all day today and possibly tomorrow. great time to break down in a daily driver huh?

as mentioned above, i'll be checking spark, fuel, and timing first. hopefully i don't have to troubleshoot further then that, or go into it any deeper. if it's bad enough, i'm probably looking for an H22 to swap in

Comment

Working...
                              X