Just bought an accord.... need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought an accord.... need some help

Hi, I am new to this forum, I need some help.
    I just bought a 95 accord at about 6 months ago. The motor has 165K. WHen I first bought it, the engine was smooth and ran quiet.

Recently, I reliazed my motor is making a little weird noise. It sounds like a knocking noise or something.
    HOwever, the noise can only be hear at 1500-2500 rpm. anything below and above that range, I couldn't hear the rough/knocking noise.

The motor idle very smoothly and runs very good, powerful though.

The car doesn't smoke but I do realize the motor takes some oil, about 1/2 qt every 1000 miles. By the time I am about to change oil at around 3000miles, the needle always show 1/3 oil left.

There is no oil dripping underneath the car.

WHat could be my problem?

obvious oil consumption somewhere. u beat on ur car alot? and that ticking noise is nto good, get in the habit of checking and topping off ur oil reguarly or u will be buying a new motor soon.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

what caused the ticking noise? My rings? pistons? crank shaft?

Comment

As long as your oil is in between the two fill lines......Your OK with oil level.

THe ticking could very well be your valves. Adjust them yourself, or just pay someone 40 to do it.

Does it tick more when cold???
        Noobie my ASS.

Comment

I have very similar problems.

The knocking noise, could it be more of a rattle? Only happens when you're accelerating? I've always chalked it up to a loose heatshield in the header/exhaust.

As far as the oil consumption, if you're not blowing blue smoke, then the leak is most likely an engine seal.

One important thing to check are the seals under your timing belt, etc. Very common for the balance shaft seal to walk out of it's fitting. In fact, Honda has a retainer clip for it now.

With the amount of miles on your motor, it's probably a good idea to replace the belts and seals on that side of the motor anyway. The belts, seals and retainer clip can be had from your Honda Stealership for about $200.

If you're handy, you can do the work yourself in an afternoon.

Another spot is the valve cover. Usually you will see oil on the spark plugs after you remove them if this is the case. Your oil pan gasket could also be leaking.

Both the oil pan gasket and timing belt side leaks won't show in the normal way, ie oil drips in your parking spot. They only seem to leak while the motor is running or beaten hard.

You need to stick you noggin under the car and see where the leaks are occuring. One good idea is to get some engine cleaner or a pressure washer and clean that motor off, especially the underside and rear of the block. Then take a look at it after a couple days and see where you leaks are.
          Bart: What's your name?
          Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

Working...
          X