axle problem w/intermediate half shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axle problem w/intermediate half shaft

To make a long story short with pictures... How do I get the rest of my axle off the half shaft?

I tried pulling it, banging it (but not extensively) prying it off and nothing. pos doesnt wanna budge so I think its rusted in there.

Another method is removing the intermediate shaft (aka half shaft) from the tranny and knocking the rest of the axle off the half shaft while its off the car.

QUESTION:How easy is the removal of the intermediate shaft from the tranny?
    And by doing that what other complications will I run into?

My car is completely immobile right now.
    I'm on limited time (school starts on a thursday afternoon), but also in a budget (shitty world for me right now)
    I can either:
    1. Say fuck it and tow it to a shop spend money (which money I don't have much of)
    or
    2. Remove the intermediate (aka half shaft) shaft and kill a day and take my chances by saving over 50 bucks.

I did a search by the way.... SO PLEASE HELP! I APPRECIATE IT!

Here are my pictures

mine did that, saturday actually.

just have to beat the shit out of it.

its the clip inside holding it in once you get past that it will come right out.

do you have a pickle fork?

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
      To make a long story short with pictures... How do I get the rest of my axle off the half shaft?

I tried pulling it, banging it (but not extensively) prying it off and nothing. pos doesnt wanna budge so I think its rusted in there.

Another method is removing the intermediate shaft (aka half shaft) from the tranny and knocking the rest of the axle off the half shaft while its off the car.

My car is completely immobile right now.
      I'm on limited time (school starts on a thursday afternoon), but also in a budget (shitty world for me right now)
      I can either:
      1. Say fuck it and tow it to a shop spend money (which money I don't have much of)
      or
      2. Remove the intermediate (aka half shaft) shaft and kill a day and take my chances by saving over 50 bucks.

I did a search by the way.... SO PLEASE HELP! I APPRECIATE IT!

3 bolts but you lose all your trans fluid.

shops by me charge 260 a side labor, cost me 60 the first time and free after that(thanks auto zone)

keep trying homie.

edit... fram sucks. oem ftw.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

seriously..

Comment

Originally posted by casterX View Post

seriously..
          i know right?

and if that fails...

pickle fork and bfh

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys

i ended up taking out the half shaft bolts out and it easily slid off the tranny. some fluid leaked out but im going to end up changing out the tranny fluid anyway.

once i had the intermediate shaft out i got a huge wrench wrapped it over the leftover axle and banged it out. took a few attempts but it eventually came out

Comment

anti seize ftw

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

bigger hammer.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

those seize, had you given it many more years it may not have separated at all. the wide gap design is hard to use a prybar with, so youre left with just the sledge...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                  X