No announcement yet.

12.09 volts on battery, is it finished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.11 for a grand total of 12.66 for lead acid batteries.
    AD5OS
    FOLDING@home

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
      on a fully charged battery, the vehicle should only be running off the alternator. that way it doesnt tear up the battery.
      I proved this by having my negative terminal come off while i was going down the road, and it still ran. My radio was cutting in and out sometimes though :O
      Cars:
      91 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
      98 Accord LX Sedan
      95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (E3 16G, PTE 780cc, Godspeed FMIC)

Comment

It's not the volts you should be worried about. Its the Cranking Amps.

Comment

Originally posted by bmxfelon420 View Post
          I proved this by having my negative terminal come off while i was going down the road, and it still ran. My radio was cutting in and out sometimes though :O
          No, what you proved was that the car COULD run without the battery. By that same token, if your alternator died when you were going down the road, the car would still run until the battery died. Doesn't prove anything about how the car SHOULD run.

In a properly functioning electrical system, the battery and alternator are both being used at the same time.

When the car is running, the battery is receiving a charge from the alternator. There is no circuit that only provides power to the battery when it drops below a certain level. Get a multi-meter and test it yourself.
          - Ghosty
          WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
          FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

The alternator is supposed to charge the battery.

but the battery is not ALWAYS 100% charged at all times, I have a High output alternator and I still put my optima battery on a float charge once a month to "top off" the battery to make sure its fully charged.

I consider it being nice to my battery and MAKING sure its charged.

Its usually 85-90% charge and will take 1amp for 30 minutes before my charger says "FULL".

But I baby my car, it doesn't NEED to be charged, but using this method my optima orange top is on its 8th year(put in car in Aug 2000 when I bought it). Its now October 2008, I'd like to think me toping off the battery once a month helps. but I've heard they don't make optima's like they used too also. I've killed my battery about 7 times by leaving the headlights on.
            Last edited by 90Haccord; 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM.
            90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
            DIY ram intake
            0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
            stock alt rewound to 120amps
            optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
            fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
            2004 Jeep Liberty v6
            2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

Comment

Working...
            X