• Show
Clear All

Altenator, I experienced the same thing before
    mines took a crap on me.. My headlights flickered as
    well, and it didn't hell that I had audio equipment in my
    car also..

Comment

hey dean, its your Alternator bro...

back when I had my first coupe in Ft Lauderdale, I drove thru a huge rain storm. The day after, my batt light went on, and later, my alternator. the car was showing an output of 15.6V, when it averages normal at around 12.2V max. Very dangerous situation.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
        It may be the brushes inside your alternator. Once they get worn down, they sometimes lose contact with the main shaft/rotor depending on the rpms triggering the battery light.

The brushes are roughly $25 from Honda. If you don't want to take the alt out, you can even change it with it still mounted on the car.

The part you'll need is:
        31105-PR7-A01 HOLDER ASSY., BRUSH
        I agree with YK86. I bought my brushes on eBay after experiencing exactly the same problem you described. I replaced my brushes months ago, and haven't had a problem since.

Comment

Originally posted by doylna View Post
          I agree with YK86. I bought my brushes on eBay after experiencing exactly the same problem you described. I replaced my brushes months ago, and haven't had a problem since.
          how easy is it to change the brushes?
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by cb7pr View Post
            hey dean, its your Alternator bro...

back when I had my first coupe in Ft Lauderdale, I drove thru a huge rain storm. The day after, my batt light went on, and later, my alternator. the car was showing an output of 15.6V, when it averages normal at around 12.2V max. Very dangerous situation.
            That sounds more like a voltage regulator problem. Also normal is around 14V with the car running.
            wat?

Comment

On the left is the voltage regulator, on the right are the brushes. Once you have the Alt. out, its pretty easy to see where they are. The voltage regulator has the plug where the wire harness goes into. On the back of the alt. there's some 8mm screws and then some phillips head screws you gotta undo to remove these.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

before you go tearing into the alt. make sure you have checked everything else (and the alt.) first
                ____

Comment

brush is probably sticking, mine had the same problem except upon startup the light would be on...after cruising for a couple miles, it would eventually shut off.

i believe it was the original one too.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Ok, so I didnt replace my alternator when I should because when we check it with the multimeter it was still putting out 14.1 V so we still thought that it was the loose battery cable So I drove with that flickering battery light for months basically with no start up issues until Friday night. Drove to checkers, while waiting in the drive thru my dash, radio, clock all went black......even my cluster was none functioning. After I got my food and drove off everything came back on so I thought once again that it was a loose battery cable Got home and that was it.

Next morning , I had to make a quick run up the street to K-Mart so i hopped in, car started up immediately but after about a minute of driving i encountered the same symptoms from the night before. I parked the car at K-mart to go get some liquid plumber while calling Gus(Nightwolf) to see if he would know what the fuck was going on. We bought thought battery because I was too broke to even comtemplating replacing an alternator. Came back out the store, car wont start, so I walked home(not that far away). Got the wifey's car drove and picked up Felipe(Jarhead), went back to jump my car and drove it home and let it sit until Sunday when I went to get the battery test, it was completely gone, spent $94 to replace the battery then retested the alternator and noticed that it was the culprit.

After a couple hours of waiting for Gus to come over, we double checked and confirmed it was the alt, replaced it (another $1xx.xx) that I didnt have. Over $200 in one fucking day on the weekend I'm completely broke

Moral of this story is that I should have replaced the damn alternator prior and I would have saved a $100 from having to buy a new battery.
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

babe i had this same issue a couple of months ago remember, it was my alternator too.. they told me my alternator was fine but it was that black piece inside (can't remember the name ) but yeah that thing was shot to hell new alternator ftw shiny huhhhhhhh

Originally posted by Juice21
                      thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
                      Originally posted by GameChewer
                      Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

Originally posted by breeziebabyyy View Post
                        babe i had this same issue a couple of months ago remember, it was my alternator too.. they told me my alternator was fine but it was that black piece inside (can't remember the name ) but yeah that thing was shot to hell new alternator ftw shiny huhhhhhhh
                        Shiney is good but spending money when u broke sucks
                        Text me!
                        1993 Accord LX - Sold
                        93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Working...