Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch blew, a few questions

Car broke down again. Clutch blew. Couple questions:

1) Its the original clutch and it lasted 176k... I'm assuming it was just its time to go.

2) Recommended replacements? I was looking at TAS Auto and the whole OEM spec/heavy duty/etc. stuff is a bit beyond my grasp. This is just a daily driver (70 miles a day, mostly highway). Don't think I need any of the performance stuff (I don't race), but I also believe you get what you pay for. Considering my driving habits, would either of the top two listed be ok, or should I look for something else? http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Browse.aspx?d=1619&p=1

I was going to order from TAS because of the good member reviews, but I'm open to other sites/suggestions. My friend is also looking into helping me out with a part from Advance Auto (employee discount).

3) This car just seems to be breaking. Downpipe, water pump, clutch slave, clutch, etc. I was planning on replacing parts in her until the engine or tranny blew, but at what point did ya'll decide "enough is enough"? She has replacements for all the above, $400 worth of new tires on her, etc... don't want to throw it all away by selling her or parting her out, but there comes a point where after putting in more than the car's worth in parts you have to think to yourself maybe it's just her time to go.

4) Any other advice/opinions? Especially regarding replacing the clutch itself... I'm only a novice mechanic (replacing my own brake calipers, the header and downpipe, etc), so I'm going to be trying to find a friend who can swap the clutch out with me helping however I can.

Thanks again,

Erik
    Sort-of-proud owner of a lovely 5 speed manual 1993 CB7 EX beater.
    Last edited by Medikerik; 12-05-2008, 01:33 AM. Reason: Updated #2 on AA parts.

shit if you was closer to me ill do it for you. a car this old and high mileage things will break. its nothing new at all. it good that you replaced all the parts that you said. once you get it all said and done you will be happy with the outcome

Comment

when things get old, they need maintainence and replacement simple as that. You just gotta suck it up and fix it or sell it. Its your call. If the body's in good shape and all you need is a clutch job, then fix it.

If its been involved in an accident and doesn't drive right, or the frame is bent/twisted, then it would be easier to get another CB7 and transfer all your "new" parts onto that one.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

exedy oem replacement.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Is $400 a good price for the labor charge on replacing the clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by Medikerik View Post
            Is $400 a good price for the labor charge on replacing the clutch?
            I think its a fair price. Dont expect the lowballers here to agree with me though. lol..

Comment

If you want it done right, $400 is extremely reasonable.

Once you take the thing apart, and put it back together, you would understand why.

You might find it for cheaper, but good luck with that, because you are gambling on a lot of other stuff.

$400 isn't a guarantee that the person doing it is doing a good job, but that is a relatively good ballpark cost wise.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

He's a Honda Certified Tech... not sure how much that's worth, but from what my friend who dealt with him said he's a decent type of guy who knows his stuff.

Comment

He's a Honda Certified Tech... not sure how much that's worth, but from what my friend who dealt with him said he's a decent type of guy who knows his stuff.
                  If he is Honda certified, then he knows his stuff. From that point, it becomes a matter of charachter etc.

Comment

That's all I'd need to hear!

A Hui Hou !!!
                    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I should clarify; I know a tech who is "Nissan certified" and works on our ambulances. We had a vehicle that was overheating and he couldn't solve the problem... when I came in the next day (another crew had called him in) I checked it myself and found that it was almost out of coolant. Hmmm. Another one of them had brake fluid (the smaller ones have regular brakes, not air brakes) that was the color of black coffee... he said "It's because it's a diesel". I'm not a diesel mechanic, but am I correct that the engine type shouldn't have any effect on the color of the brake fluid? That's just the start of the list... Anyway, the moral of the story is after that I no longer assume that being "_____ certified" means you automatically are at least a above-average mechanic.

ETA: And he is a decent type of guy. I'd have no problem kicking back a beer with him and watching the game; I just don't think he's a very good mechanic.

Comment

I should clarify; I know a tech who is "Nissan certified" and works on our ambulances. We had a vehicle that was overheating and he couldn't solve the problem... when I came in the next day (another crew had called him in) I checked it myself and found that it was almost out of coolant. Hmmm. Another one of them had brake fluid (the smaller ones have regular brakes, not air brakes) that was the color of black coffee... he said "It's because it's a diesel". I'm not a diesel mechanic, but am I correct that the engine type shouldn't have any effect on the color of the brake fluid? That's just the start of the list... Anyway, the moral of the story is after that I no longer assume that being "_____ certified" means you automatically are at least a above-average mechanic.

ETA: And he is a decent type of guy. I'd have no problem kicking back a beer with him and watching the game; I just don't think he's a very good mechanic.
                        wow..now thats interesting. A lot of guys like to claim certification but they end up being false flaggers. Maybe thats the case with him?

Comment

just because hes a mechanic, doesnt mean he knows shit. it isnt just about R&R something but all about diagnostics now a days.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

If he really is "Honda Certified" then he knows that stuff. You don't graduate that program without knowing it. I had a good friend once who was a certified Honda tech, and trust me, they know their shit.

Assuming he isn't shining about being certified that is.

Comment

Working...
                            X