Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how important is that spring on the coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how important is that spring on the coil?

that SOB little spring that sits on the internal coils. I was changing my Cap/Rotor today w/ a Honda one b/c the POS Checker one looks like its oxidizing on the terminals inside and I stupidly bumped that spring off of the internal coil and it went somewhere it didn't fall down so god knows where its at.

Would it be okay if I improvised and used a spring from a click type pen? It seems to work but Idk if thats gonna mess anything up in the future.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

lol sucks when it falls off eh? been there. find a fat pen & try it

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      that SOB little spring that sits on the internal coils. I was changing my Cap/Rotor today w/ a Honda one b/c the POS Checker one looks like its oxidizing on the terminals inside and I stupidly bumped that spring off of the internal coil and it went somewhere it didn't fall down so god knows where its at.

Would it be okay if I improvised and used a spring from a click type pen? It seems to work but Idk if thats gonna mess anything up in the future.
      Not a good idea.

The springs in a pen have a small diameter. That spring, as I recall, has a diameter that is quite a bit larger. The problem is that the springs transmitts all 20,000+ volts from the coil to the cap. If the spring you put in there is a significantly different material, or is much smaller in diameter, it is going to have a lot more resistance, and will get hot and fail, catch fire or reduce performance of the ignition system. That is a jury rig solution at best. You KNOW what I would say about, not that it matters.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        Not a good idea.

The springs in a pen have a small diameter. That spring, as I recall, has a diameter that is quite a bit larger. The problem is that the springs transmitts all 20,000+ volts from the coil to the cap. If the spring you put in there is a significantly different material, or is much smaller in diameter, it is going to have a lot more resistance, and will get hot and fail, catch fire or reduce performance of the ignition system. That is a jury rig solution at best. You KNOW what I would say about, not that it matters.
        well its not really a spring from one of those tiny regular pens. Its actually a little oversized compared to the one I lost. It doesn't fit snuggly on there but its a really tough spring. I tried to get one today at Honda but they said the only way I could get one was to buy the entire freakin' coil for 131 dollars ha yeah right. I guess I'll swing by the JY later tomorrow morning and jack one from a 9091 CB

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

So what did you do about that spring? Mine is kinda stretch due to minor accident when I pull the cap off.
          Thanks,

Comment

I bought a spring from, lowes once to try and replace that damn thing, didn't work for me

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
              So what did you do about that spring? Mine is kinda stretch due to minor accident when I pull the cap off.
              Thanks,
              I used a coil from some random spark plug boot autozone had. I had to cut up the spring to make it fit. I really wish Honda would sell that damn spring! WTF am I gonna do now? idk if what I did is sufficient or not, I'm thinking not, but I don't want to buy another coil just for that spring.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by mj213
                jack the whole dizzy and give the rest to me. I need a good one. Think mine's getting old.
                Yeah no kidding I need a new one myself...lol sad thing is going to the JY is kinda hard due to not many h22s in the jy....lol anyhow....
                The CB7 Collector.
                Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                92 LX Coupe F22A1
                2013 Toyota Corolla S
                92 EX Sedan F22A1
                Originally posted by deevergote
                Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

why didn't you go to the jy and get one? That seems the best option. Will fix it right too
                  ____

Comment

I bent mine taking my cap off. It started running like shit under full throttle. I immidietly got a used one from my buddy, which i needed anyway and all was well. JY sounds like a good plan...

Comment

Your car will run without it. Father Time's car ran like that somehow. I didn't even know it was missing. It ran for over a year or so without any issues. The ONLY reason we even knew it was missing was because we took it apart to put that coil into another distributor.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                        why didn't you go to the jy and get one? That seems the best option. Will fix it right too
                        Originally posted by eazyduzit509 View Post
                        I bent mine taking my cap off. It started running like shit under full throttle. I immidietly got a used one from my buddy, which i needed anyway and all was well. JY sounds like a good plan...
                        yeah I'm going today so hopefully I'll find one. But do any of you know what other Hondas or Acuras would have this spring?

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                          Your car will run without it. Father Time's car ran like that somehow. I didn't even know it was missing. It ran for over a year or so without any issues. The ONLY reason we even knew it was missing was because we took it apart to put that coil into another distributor.
                          Are you serious? So what really is the use of that spring? It must do something.

Comment

It's probably for a better arc, but I don't think it makes much difference on low hp setups. It would probably be more of an issue with higher hp.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                              It's probably for a better arc, but I don't think it makes much difference on low hp setups. It would probably be more of an issue with higher hp.
                              and upgraded ignition systems
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X