Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
    the vibration u get is good though...
    Less movement from everything is better...It may translate into more vibes at idle....but its cool...
    I see what you are saying, performancewise, less movement is better but some people don't care as much about that as they do about having a comfortable ride. So I am suggesting that if that's what someone prefers, they could fill the mounts with a softer compound that more closely matches the hardness of the original rubber in the mounts. But maybe that still wouldn't work for those people because by filling up all the space it will make the mount a lot firmer anyway.

Originally posted by wrichards2005 View Post
    You think you got shuttering and vibration now just wait till you fill the mounts.

Your car will feel like a vibrator at idle.

I'm curious about the "more vibes at idle" part of both of your comments. Do those vibrations go away at higher rpms? I'm thinking about filling my mounts, mainly because it's a cheap way to keep them going. When I fill my mounts, will the car vibrate more than it currently does at idle but be the same at driving rpms? Or what?

Now I'm remembering that some cars' motor mounts have some sort of active dampening system for idle speeds, something about the lower rpms needing a way to dampen them. But our mounts are passive mounts , and also don't have any fluid in them as I recall. But I got confused because my Haynes has a warning about not heating fluid filled mounts up. My DX just has rubber mounts as far as I know, there is no place in them for fluid, or is there fluid somewhere in the center around the bushing? Anyone?
    Last edited by batever; 06-05-2009, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom View Post
      the vibration u get is good though...
      Less movement from everything is better...It may translate into more vibes at idle....but its cool...
      Zack,
      Less movement is good, more vibration at idle is a PITA. The fix is to raise idle speed until the idle vibration is acceptable.

I've re-inforced my engine mount bushings by filling the voids with pieces of fabric re-inforced rubber sheeting (originally from an old conveyor belt, about 1cm thick). The rubber pieces are cut to size and then jammed / forced hard into the voids in the bushings (need rubber grease, pliers, screwdrivers, swearing etc to get them in there).

This not only fills the voids with quite hard rubber inserts, the fact that the inserts have been forced into the voids means that the existing OE rubber has been compressed / pre-loaded to some degree in order to accomodate the tight fit of the rubber inserts. This creates quite a stiff bushing.

The most important bushes to stiffen up in order to limit engine movement are the upper bush in the engine stay (at the front of the motor), and the void in the rear engine mount. The bushes at each end of the motor / gearbox don't have much to do with reacting torque loadings.
      Last edited by johnl; 06-05-2009, 04:28 AM.
      Regards from Oz,
      John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
        Zack,
        Less movement is good, more vibration at idle is a PITA. The fix is to raise idle speed until the idle vibration is acceptable.
        How high an idle gives acceptable smoothness with filled (in your case, reinforced) mounts?

Comment

What if you don't fill it entirely, leaving smaller holes where the voids use to be? So there's still room for even a little movement of the center bushing.

Comment

Originally posted by lonski View Post
            What if you don't fill it entirely, leaving smaller holes where the voids use to be? So there's still room for even a little movement of the center bushing.
            then they would crack again in like a matter of days i'm guessing

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Okay, what if you wrap screen mesh around the worn mounts before filling it? Kinda like when they put steel bars before laying concrete, to give it strength from cracking easily.

Comment

From what ive heard the only polyurethane that is long lasting and durable is the mcmaster 94a. People on the site have said they've used window weld only to have it fall apart after a few months. The vibration you get from having filled mounts is not that bad. Definitely noticeable but if you drive hard its an upgrade you definitely want. Are your mounts fillable? Yes if you use durable material. So far the mcmasters pu has lasted me 2 and a half years with no signs of cracking or failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
                  From what ive heard the only polyurethane that is long lasting and durable is the mcmaster 94a. People on the site have said they've used window weld only to have it fall apart after a few months. The vibration you get from having filled mounts is not that bad. Definitely noticeable but if you drive hard its an upgrade you definitely want. Are your mounts fillable? Yes if you use durable material. So far the mcmasters pu has lasted me 2 and a half years with no signs of cracking or failure.
                  sparkle approved

Comment

That doesn't mean much in 2009.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

owned

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                        That doesn't mean much in 2009.
                        it does to me since those very same mounts came off my old car. And besides 2009 I can still beat just about a majority of 2009 cars without blowing my motor can you say the same aswell as taking corners and not even goin in that deep for a tune. So now I own you peace

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post
                          owned
                          no ownage trust me just jealousy.

Comment

Yes, I'm very jealous of your sonic blue neon.

I can hang with evo's in the twisties just fine. And I can certainly hold my own in a drag race considering my stockness.

Why do you always make this about your car? Is that the only thing you have to show for your pathetic life? This thread, nor my comment had NOTHING to do with your skittle.

And in case your ignorant ass didn't catch it, that first sentence was sarcasm. But it's ok, everyone knows how stupid you really are so we don't expect anything else but an ignorant/arrogant reply from you.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

owned

Comment

If you say so and thats why you are where you are now. Broke ignorant and jealous hope your motor lasts. And its not even about my cars its about what ive done. Enjoy your sarcasm since thats the only thing you can afford is insults. So you talk alot of perhaps you can back it, run me for money otherwise stfu. Oh i forgot you dont have the money. As a matter of fact I should get you to run one of my other cars ive been workin on but thats for me to know and for you to find out. And its close to stock more than you think. Enjoy your shit talking. fuckin bloggin-ass toy-soldier yeah get in line cadet ten-hut before i dismiss ya ass.
                                Last edited by h22sparkle; 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X