Mild/Not so mild Build with stock exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mild/Not so mild Build with stock exhaust

As I've mentioned a couple times before. I hate exhaust. It all sounds like shit to me. Mostly quiet till you get on it, doesn't work. I want quiet.

I just bought my new project cb7. It has a cold air intake on it. Thats about all the noise I want.

So I was wondering, if I build up an H22 with cams, maybe a mild p&p and tune, or my other setup which would probably be a F22B DSM turbo setup...

How much is stock exhaust gonna hinder me?

I even been thinking about doing a bigger exhaust. Like a 2.5" or 3" with a stock muffler that makes virtually no noise.

Part of my wanting a quiet ride is trying to build a sleeper. Something, hopefully turboed that you won't know is modded at all. No BOV rice shit, dead ass quiet if possible. Including exhaust.

What are my options?

why not use two resonators and a larger OEM construction like muffler? I had one off a toyota matrix that quited mine down quit a bit
    ____

Comment

I can tell you that using 1-2 resonators with 2.5" or 3" piping and straight-through muffler is not quiet. I think the key is getting an actual OEM-like muffler for any exhaust to be quiet. Resonators do help keep a low/deep sound and minimize raspiness. What also helps eliminate raspiness and fuel smell at stop or idle is a cat. converter, rather than test pipe.

The larger the diameter exhaust the louder. I would keep it at 2.5" for your goals for a compromise, cat. converter, atleast one resonator and OEM-like muffler.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

in my opinion i think you will hinder performance with stock exhaust....if your going to build a decent motor its going to make some noise anyway...especially from the turbo, bov, and cams..you could go with a '08 civic si muffler...they are pretty $$ but if you havnt heard one, i think they sound nice...not loud to where its droning your ear, but it does have a nice low low puur GL with your setup..be sure to post pics
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

Originally posted by carps_accord View Post
          in my opinion i think you will hinder performance with stock exhaust....if your going to build a decent motor its going to make some noise anyway...especially from the turbo, bov, and cams..you could go with a '08 civic si muffler...they are pretty $$ but if you havnt heard one, i think they sound nice...not loud to where its droning your ear, but it does have a nice low low puur GL with your setup..be sure to post pics
          thats actually what I was gonna suggest.....the si muffler has a nice tone to it but never gets loud.....in the 8 months i drove an 08 si i didnt hear the exhaust when in the car unless i was listening for it and i really got on it....and even then it sounds awesome......plus its an OEM muffler

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

How many and what diameter resonators does a stock SI have in it's system?

1999 BMW M3
            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Has anyone tried a turbo style muffler. That might help quiet it down a little.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

personally I wouldn't waste my money on anything more than a stock h22 if you're going to keep the stock exhaust. I have a bone stock H, made 171whp. I'm sure it would have made a few more up top but I don't want a loud exhaust... Not to mention I just found out the car's running shifty due to a bad o2 and spark. But especially with cams+, you're going to need a place for all that hot air to go. Bigger piping will help, but a good performance muffler will help even more. Minus low end torque, quiet doesn't make power.

Comment

Make your entire exhaust a resonator. Get some 2.5 in piping and perforate the whole thing. Slip it inside some 3" piping, and pack all the piping. Then get a universal RSR ex-mag muffler.

I'm kidding, but that would kinda work...
                  There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                    Make your entire exhaust a resonator. Get some 2.5 in piping and perforate the whole thing. Slip it inside some 3" piping, and pack all the piping. Then get a universal RSR ex-mag muffler.

I'm kidding, but that would kinda work...
                    It would be like an 8ft long glasspack.

"The Turtle"
                    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

You could try those cone inserts, that and someone makes colecter discs to quiet the exh down.
                      http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/Dynat...50014/10002/-1Those are for collectors but they also make them in smaller sizes, jegs just doesn't sell them.
                      http://www.jegs.com/p/Car-Chemistry/...44688/10002/-1

"The Turtle"
                      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                        You could try those cone inserts, that and someone makes colecter discs to quiet the exh down.
                        http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/Dynat...50014/10002/-1Those are for collectors but they also make them in smaller sizes, jegs just doesn't sell them.
                        http://www.jegs.com/p/Car-Chemistry/...44688/10002/-1
                        Wow that looks like a good idea. I'm thinking about just doing a bigger exhaust with a stock style resonator and muffler. And a high flow cat.

Comment

3" piping, OEM style baffled muffler. Case close

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                            3" piping, OEM style baffled muffler. Case close
                            Do I need a resonator?

How is it gonna sound?

Comment

Resonators typically remove alot of the rasp that people don't want.

They also contribute greatly to reducing exhaust noise on the inside of the car, and since you hate loud exhaust, you'll want a resonator. The biggest one you can fit.
                              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X