The clunking/clicking noise from tranny/dirvetrain thread v3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The clunking/clicking noise from tranny/dirvetrain thread v3.0

-So, whole front suspension is new and motor mounts are solid. That solved the torque jarring.

-The car clunks/clicks when clushed is pushed in to shift, when you are in first and turn the wheel all the way and do a tight turn the car will jerk and clunk-click. It does not sound like it is coming from inside the tranny, or internally anywhere. It sounds like and feels like its right at my feet/behind the firewall.

When I replaced the radiator I hosed down the motor and the clunk-click went away that day for a while. After i guess the engine/trans dried off it came back.

The last thing I need to replace are axles, which will be done tomorrow along with the half-shaft.

I was beginning to thing, could this all be possibly due to the differential???
    Originally posted by deevergote
    ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
    Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
    Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
    04 WRX stg 2 sedan
    Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Have you checked the CV's yet.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
    "The Turtle"
    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

There is some play, like I said I'll replace it all tomorrow so hopefully it fixes it.

Along with putting my soon to be wrapped ITR's with ecsta XS's on .
      Originally posted by deevergote
      ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
      Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
      Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
      04 WRX stg 2 sedan
      Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

how are your side motor and tranny mounts??? is your throwup bearing good? the other options seem to be with your front sway bar bushings either being shot or the sway bar links are rubbing on something...
        THOU SHALT NOT SHIT IN DEEVE'S WHEATIES

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadnothing85 View Post
          is your throwup bearing good?...
          lol throwup bearing nice but anyway i would think its your CV's or your throw out bearing more than likely your throw out bearing

Comment

Get in the car

Start the car

Find open road

Put car in first

Slowly get into the gas till ur at full throttle, then abruptly let off

If u feel the motor snap back harshly odds are its your motor mounts

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadnothing85 View Post
              how are your side motor and tranny mounts??? is your throwup bearing good? the other options seem to be with your front sway bar bushings either being shot or the sway bar links are rubbing on something...
              Originally posted by lildeez07 View Post
              lol throwup bearing nice but anyway i would think its your CV's or your throw out bearing more than likely your throw out bearing
              Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
              Get in the car

Start the car

Find open road

Put car in first

Slowly get into the gas till ur at full throttle, then abruptly let off

If u feel the motor snap back harshly odds are its your motor mounts
              CLEARLY people dont read the thread when responding. He has allready stated that all suspension components are new and all motor mounts are new.

I highly doubt its the throwout bearing because when those go there is never any clunking noise and is usually a whine type sound.

I would lean more towards CV axles judging by the sound described.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
              member ride thread
              11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
              People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
              I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
              John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

the reason i asked about the sway links was because i had that issue with my first cb... it was dropped...low... i installed new links with energy poly bushings into mine and it turned out that the tops of my links were rubbing and binding against the subframe... perhaps i should be more descriptive?

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                  CLEARLY people dont read the thread when responding. He has allready stated that all suspension components are new and all motor mounts are new.

I highly doubt its the throwout bearing because when those go there is never any clunking noise and is usually a whine type sound.

I would lean more towards CV axles judging by the sound described.
                  CLEARLY you don't read. He didn't say the mounts were new. He said they were solid. And its almost impossible to check condition of the rear motor mount.

I'd venture to say its probably either a rear mount, because you can't see it. Could also be a sway bar frame bushing, or the end link bushing.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005 View Post
                    CLEARLY you don't read. He didn't say the mounts were new. He said they were solid. And its almost impossible to check condition of the rear motor mount.

I'd venture to say its probably either a rear mount, because you can't see it. Could also be a sway bar frame bushing, or the end link bushing.
                    Whens the last time you worked on a cb? All that's needed to check the rear mount is to remove the intake piping.

Myk, have you replaced your inner tie rods? Do you still have power steering? It can also be your power steering rack going out.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

tsk tsk... such little temper tantrums... reminds me of my 2 and 3 year old kids... just because you say "oh its not that because it's not a common thing" doesn't mean the rest of us haven't experienced the issue before... we're trying to help, not beat our balls and be "smarter" than the next grease monkey...

and yes i have heard throwup bearings make a wide variety of noises... ive also seen them in a wide variety of horrible destruction lol... along with the little input bearing that's in the center of the flywheel... alot of times when people do clutches they neglect to change that bearing, which is a horrible risk to take and could also be a noise culprit

and just because motor and trans seem solid doesnt mean that they are... put ur ebrake on and play from 1st to reverse... that will be a dead giveaway as to the health of your rear mount because you will DEFFINATLY see the motor rock back and forth
                      Last edited by bigbadnothing85; 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM. Reason: because i wore my fanny-pack today

Comment

You're the fool, sir.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

It sounds like your CV joints, made the same noise on my car and it only cost like $100 for left and right axles.

Comment

if your axles are original then its most likely them. Even though they may look good on the outside, on the inside the joints are worn and can clunk when forces are applied and let off.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                            X