crankshaft pully wont budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crankshaft pully wont budge

ok, a friend an i are trying to relpace the water pump, but there was something that we couldnt take out to get to the side of the engine. we've disassembled the crusie control, power steering belt, altenator, and all the necessary belts so that we could access the water pump location.

about four hours into the job, our next step was to remove the crankshaft pully so that the water pump can be finally exposed. when we tried to torque it, it'll just move the other pullys with the timing belt. well shit, how can we take it off?

i read the haynes manual and it says that we need to wedge someting between the flywheel and the pully to keep it from moving (like a screwdriver). we tried that and we've bent about three allen wrenches and a thirty dollar screwdriver.

so we went to the guys at auto zone and they said that it shouldnt be doing that. the dude up there said that i might have no compression (in the engine) at all because there shouldn't be any freeplay from the crankshaft pully like that at all. then he said that its a reverse thread. (tired that, but no budge)

how can i get the crankshaft pully off?
    thanks in advance!

inpact gun homie
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

his problem is it just spins, an impact gun would just spin the crank pulley faster. did u read his post?or did you just read the last part? read it all then answer man. i rem seeing something on here about this ill see what i can find.

Comment

i dont know if this helps at all but its the best i could do. sorry man. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=crank+pulley

Comment

um my inmpact gun doesnt spin it, it just hits it loose.
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

what did you use to keep the pulley from spinning? thats what he's having a problem with.

Comment

This may help:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=crank+tool

There is a tool specifically for this, a good one costs over $150. But for single use, you can get by with a cheap one.

Something like this:
              http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/Sh...CAT406_pg4.htm

It looks like a nut with a handle. Fits inside the crank pulley, you then brace the handle against anything. Holds the pulley still.
              Bart: What's your name?
              Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

Or this:
                http://www.toolweb.com/toolsrus/stor...partno=SIRHO70

Comment

fizz,doesnt matter if you use impact gun, yes it makes it easier removing the bolt, but it doesnt prevent pulley from spinning, yes i know how an impact guns works i use them everyday. i have seen people do that before but pulley doesnt stay still even with impact gun it just spins faster. u will def need the right tool to make it a little bit easier. rent one....... getting the pulley to stay still is a bitch. when you get pulley to stay than yes impact gun works marvelous.
                  Last edited by 91accord4door; 11-23-2004, 10:38 PM.

Comment

This too:
                    http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...--SIRHO50.HTML

Comment

Or you can rent one if they have it, or buddy up to a Honda mechanic.

Comment

holy crap guys, thanks for the fast repsonse. i have a friend who has an impact gun so im going to hit him up. thanks again guys, i love yall even more

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                          ......your reasoning is just wrong....

yes....yes your right im just wrong.

Comment

An impact gun will definitely get it loose.(I do them all the time)

PURCHASED NOVEMBER 1991. THAT'S RIGHT, I'M THE ONE AND ONLY OWNER. BEAT THAT!

Comment

So the bolt is counter-threaded? Meaning I will want to rotate it to the right to losen it? I appreciate the help!

- Zipcreature
                              Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X