Pop goes my T-belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop goes my T-belt

So my T-belt snapped while I was cruising at about 70. I hope my valves aren't bent! I have already started the tear down to replace the belts, and I figured while I was down there I might as well replace pretty much everything that is old just so I don't have to worry abo[ut future problems. I already have the Power steering pump and alternator out, timing belt cover off along with the valve cover. just gonna take ti step by step ill snap some pics and stuff too. wish me luck
    ProjectParty.net
    Putting an end to the question, "What's going on tonight?"

"This generation has this universal sense of failure" - Kurt D. Cobain

CLUB 1320

My FOR SALE thread...buy my ish

that sucks. did u get a tow home? post pics asap. good luck.

Comment

sorry my friend but u need new valves. i had that problem and i had 3 bend valves.
      are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Yeah, you might as well take the head off.. and look for busted stuff. You could always start by taking the spark plugs out, and getting one of those long magnet pickup things. Drop it down,and see if you get any metal pieces.

I would definately take the head off though, before you put all that money into the parts and effort, only to find out you gotta start all over again.

Comment

When was the last time you had the timing belt replaced? Was the engine overdue for it?
          R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
          My members ride page
          Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

Damn! 2 people have had their timing belts snap in the past 3 days.. wtf is going on?
            Adam - Retired OG member from '03
            2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
            2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

good luck with everything. It would be really nice to have some well documented pics. and yeah were you overdue?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                sorry my friend but u need new valves. i had that problem and i had 3 bend valves.
                He might have gotten lucky if his the valves werent fully open when the belt snapped, so you cant say for a fact that he bent some. Also how did 3 bend, wouldnt it make more sense if it was an even # like 2 or 4?

Good luck, hopefully the damage isnt too extensive. At least it'll give you a great learning experience from this rebuilt.

Jay
                Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

first of all he was doing 70 mph. so that meas bent valves.

when i said what i said i mean 3 different valves. i don't know in wha piston. it was on my old dx and i didn't know shit about engines at the time. lol but i had the 3 bent valves that the mechanic gave to me for about 3 years in my house. hahahahaha

Comment

oh yeha i would be willing to bet you got some damage in your engine, at 70 mph that engine is moving so quick. but you never know

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                      first of all he was doing 70 mph. so that meas bent valves.

when i said what i said i mean 3 different valves. i don't know in wha piston. it was on my old dx and i didn't know shit about engines at the time. lol but i had the 3 bent valves that the mechanic gave to me for about 3 years in my house. hahahahaha

right............so your saying that MPH is what causes valves to bend??? Well maybe you dont know, but you could be doing 0mph and bend valves-because bending a valve is caused when the valve(s) come in contact with the piston-not really having much to do with the engine RPM's or car speed. You could be at idle and if the timing is screwed up enough, there goes the a few valves.

3 different valves, yea, again it would make more sense for either 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. valves to bend instead of an odd #...reason why I say this: there is 4 valves per cylinder-2 intake and 2 exhaust-so lets say if your intake valves are open and the exhaust valves are closed, and the piston comes into contact with them, its most likely gonna bend both the intake valves, not the 2 exhaust valves=making 2 bent valves....then if wanted to, you could go on for the other pistons...not saying that its not possible to bend 3, but it just makes more sense that it would be an even #.

Again good luck JohnnyB, maybe theres some hope. I had my timing advanced 40 degrees and luckly didnt bend any valves.

Jay
                      Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

but there is certainly more of a chance to bend some valves if your going faster......b

Comment

belt

the same thing happened to me i was just crusin along and all a sudden the car died turns out the belt broke but i didn't get any bent valves. lucky me.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure about the bent valves yet, and I don't wanna go through the pain of pulling the head off if the valves arent bent...even though I am pretty sure I need new tube-stem seals.....but I am just going to do a compression test and see where I stand from there
                            ProjectParty.net
                            Putting an end to the question, "What's going on tonight?"

"This generation has this universal sense of failure" - Kurt D. Cobain

CLUB 1320

My FOR SALE thread...buy my ish

Comment

look at the bright side. u can change those seals. u can clean the whole throte body intake etc. u can get a the head polish and clean up. while u doing this u can chrome out ur valve cover and ur throtebody/intake everything. lol no more erratic idle for u. hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X