Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forced to high idle - anything below 950 and i get shake

right now i have my idle set to about 950
    if i set it at anything lower than this i get awful idle shake that just makes for a plain uncomfortable ride

i want my idle to be in the normal operating spec so i get good gas mileage and a healthy engine environment but am forced to keep it high because of the shake

any idea on how to cure this problem or should i just stick with the high idle?

thanks in advance
    93 Accord LXA AT

could very well be your motor mounts. I had a bad rear mount and got a pretty bad shake when starting off. and the idle was pretty shakey as well.
    ~~~~~~~

Comment

my car used to shake at low RPMS as well, but it suddenly went away oneday, so im no help here, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by 91AccordLX
        my car used to shake at low RPMS as well, but it suddenly went away oneday, so im no help here, sorry.
        no help indeed lol

is there a good way to test to see if your mounts are bad?
        the mounts are fscking expensive so i just dont want to just go out on a limb
        have to factor part cost and service cost since its nearly impossible to do the rear mount on your own
        93 Accord LXA AT

Comment

Originally posted by dwoloz
          is there a good way to test to see if your mounts are bad?
          the mounts are fscking expensive so i just dont want to just go out on a limb
          have to factor part cost and service cost since its nearly impossible to do the rear mount on your own
          I could push the engine by the intake manifold (not too hard though) and the engine would rock a few inches. That was oviously a bad thing. You can also do quick revs on the gas and watch the engine to see how much it shakes. It shouldn't shake much at all maybe a few mm but not a few inches.

You can and should also visually inspect the motor mounts. Look at the condition of the rubber in the mounts. Look to see if they are rotting.
          ~~~~~~~

Comment

I should also add if it is indeed the rear mount and you have a automatic (or manual) get the rear mount from Ebay. the automatic rear mount alone from the dealer is >$300 you can get it for half that from ebay. Dealer labor is about $200 for install.
            ~~~~~~~

Comment

ya i know, its unforunate

i can get the rear mount for about 60 on ebay but the service kills it

so i guess the question now is, is it bad for the engine to run it at above spec idle?
              93 Accord LXA AT

Comment

I don't think it's too bad to run it a little high. heck I'm doing just that with my car. mainly because my IACV is going bad. I have mine set at 1krpm. otherwise when I turn on the AC it'll stall at any less.
                I've been running it like that for a couple months with no ill effect.
                ~~~~~~~

Comment

so if ur car shakes awfully when u turn on the ac its ur iacv going bad??? cus mines idles at about 750+/- cold, and 850+/- hot. and when i turn my ac on its shake like heck, and the rpm drops by about 50-75+/-. also it shake when it idles w/o ac but not as bad, just enought to make the pennies on the ash tray sound
                  I Ain't cocky,I'm confident.And when u say im the best it's a compliment.!

Comment

I have the same problem...

Sept for I just resently got the shaking after I replaced my rear mounts. I have an Automatic. I just dont get it cause it only shakes at idle under 1 grand. WTF? Any idea what is could be?
                    -Vinyl59

Comment

Working...
                    X