Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What metal to use to rebuild floors

Hey guys,

I'm a relatively new member on here, I picked up a CB7 coupe a month or 2 ago, and since then its been parked in my driveway. THe reason for this is that it has no floor on the driver side, and I want to get that fixed before I put it back on the road.

At this point the interior is totally stripped and I'm just waiting unitl I have the metal before I cut out the floor and get thin thing back on the road, it's a load of fun

Now my question goes out to those who have done this before. what gauge of metal do I need to use to make the floor? What did you guys use? Cheaper is better, but I don't want to fall through the floor :P

Thanks,

Nick

Find a CB7 at a wrecking yard and buy the floor bits you need from that. Save a lot of problems.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
      Find a CB7 at a wrecking yard and buy the floor bits you need from that. Save a lot of problems.
      that's what i'd do.

but if your wanting to know the type of metal, it's mild steel. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

mild steel, but what gauge
        Finding floors at wrecking yards is probably not an option, I'm in canada, so all the floors are probably going to be rusted.
        That and u-pull yards are rather rare, and the other places charge like 50% of retail minimum.

Nick

Comment

i think hondas are like 18 or 20 gauge steel......im not sure which though. I dont think they are as thick as 16. for the floor though you might want to use something thicker like 16. It seems like a lot of work your going to have to do. I've seen people do little patches on the floor but a whole side? Your gonna have your work cut out for ya. Ide do a little more research on what type of metal to get good luck and post pics of progress.
          -I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it

Comment

i used 20 gauge steel plate to do a patch job.......you can get the whole floor but you have to search really good on line or go at the honda dealer or auto body supply shopp..... if you know how to weld, then its not hard... its easier than doing a patch job....
            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
              One of most common problem: headache.
              Bisimoto Engineering
              1) Call 1-888-9BC-MOTO(888-922-6686 ext. 1) Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST
              2) Email me, robert@bisimoto.com
              3) Contact me on AIM, robert@bisimoto.com

Comment

you gotta bolt in some diamond plated panels and hook it up to your intake manifold works perfect
                96 mx-6, needs work...
                91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

How the hell does a intake manifold have anything to do with a floor?

Comment

I think he's referring to F & F #1

Comment

If you make a template of what needs to be replaced, a sheetmetal shop can bend it up for you. That is what I did for my old Ford Fairlane. Cardboard is good for this task. Bring a small chuck of your floor with you and they will know what gauge to use.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

thanks for all the help guys.

Yeah its gonna be a job, and no I don't really know how to weld, but big deal, thats never stopped me before. I also knew nothing about hondas before I bought this car, and I'm starting to get stuff figured out.

Honestly welding the floor doesn't look like that big of a job, ok, big maybe, but not that complicated.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, I want to see if I can get it done this weekend, I want the damn car running before the end of the racing season.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                        X