Automatic tranny issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic tranny issue

ok guys i just got my tranny serviced. and when i was the parkway and i was doing about 70mph to see what it will do and when i turn on to buela, my tranny started to do what it did (slip) then when i got close to my house i was at a light it went out of gear and all it did was rev. and i cut it off for 2mins and got home.

what is your guys iidea?

- so far i got new tranny fluid and didnt help

edit i was talking to a guy and he said there was smoke comming from underneath. and i though f*** me....

Manual or automatic?

Comment

Auto, sorry i forgot to add that.

Comment

I mean to ask you what you meant by serviced too. I take it you took it to a shop and had them do a flush on it or??? Torque convertor maybe? How many miles are on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
          I mean to ask you what you meant by serviced too. I take it you took it to a shop and had them do a flush on it or??? Torque convertor maybe? How many miles are on it?
          basically got new tranny fluid (that what i meant for serviced sorry) and it has about 159,245 i think

Comment

Chances are, you just replaced the original transmission fluid. It seems that many automatics suffer from improper maintenance. People generally know when to change their engine oil, but they rarely worry about the other important fluids. For this reason, many CB automatics are in poor condition.

If you're slipping, it's likely the torque converter. I don't know that much about automatics, so I can't help all that much unfortunately.

The smoke coming from underneath is most likely oil that was dripped (or is dripping) on your exhaust. If it's not an active leak, and just what was spilled when the fluid was changed, then it's nothing to worry about. If it's an active leak, then it could be serious.

Check your transmission fluid level to make sure it's correct. If it's leaking and the level is low, that could also be a reason for the malfunction. If it's low, you'll also be doing damage by driving it like that.

Comment

yea if it just rev's then the torque converter probably went out. if the transmission shifts well then id only change the torque converter because changing to anoher transmission will only give the potential of getting bad tranny.

this is coming from personal experience. so i went from bad torque converter to a slipping tranny.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                yea if it just rev's then the torque converter probably went out. if the transmission shifts well then id only change the torque converter because changing to anoher transmission will only give the potential of getting bad tranny.

this is coming from personal experience. so i went from bad torque converter to a slipping tranny.
                you know its funny you say that because, ive been saying that too for a while and my uncle is saying it could be something simple that is causing this issue,but i wish i could do a 5sp swap, that solve many of my problems because when i drove it on the parkway near my area. it wanted to pull and i love how it drove soo freaking smooth..

Comment

Also, Im Going To Provide a Video clip as soon as i can find my camera so you guys have a better idea. i guess that can speak more words then i can describe. so please stay tuned.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FFsv-PAoyo

here you go guys. here is a better understanding of my situation

Comment

any idea what can be the issue.

im just hoping that i dont have to replace the transmission, but from what my uncle was saying there is a screen of some sort and he thinks that its being clogged and no oil is being transfered and thats whats causing the smoke and or not staying in gear

Comment

If it's not lubricated properly, then yes, heat would definitely cause it to malfunction (and it would also result in damage).

I wish I knew more about automatics to help you out. I've actually never even driven an automatic CB7 in my life!

Replacement automatics are pretty cheap. If you could find one that you KNOW was working well before you put it in, that might be your best bet. If this one has been exposed to heat due to a lubrication issue, then there is probably extensive damage. In this case, the risk of buying a used replacement is probably worth it to avoid the cost of a rebuild. Perhaps you could get a replacement and replace the torque converter in it. (I believe icedplaya123 may have an auto trans lying around that has been working fine for the past few years...)

Comment

I have read on here a few times people having tranny issues RIGHT AFTER a flush. That is what happened. The gunk was loosened up from the old fluid and might be causing failure. And I am sure they didnt replace it with Honda fluid which will cause problems too. You might want to consider swapping to manual. Its a lot of work but it will pay for it self in the long run with gas mileage gain you will get and less stuff that will break. But if you wanna stay auto I would look into the JDM H22a auto for the shorter gearing (drove one hooked to an F22b1 and it barked 2nd haha) or just the stock F22a JDM auto tranny. Im sure you can acquire one from 200 plus shipping to about 400 plus shipping. Tiger Japenese and Hmotors might have one and they are some of the well known companys.

Comment

That's why everyone suggests against a transmission flush.

Comment

i know guys, im 110% on doing a manual swap but the problem is getting my car to newyork so my uncle can do the work. and i wish i had the money to do it but due to no funds comming in im basically screwed. if i had the money and if someone in the va area could do the swap if be more then happy to pay them the labor to do it. plus i need to relearn 5sp again and its been awhile and im sure it would come back to me.

but ill deff keep you guys updated with my cb

Comment

Working...
                              X