Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broke down due to drivetrain probs!!!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke down due to drivetrain probs!!!...

S.O.S. Man down!!

Ok so i'm driving to work and get to a stoplight behind a couple of cars. Come to a stop put it in first gear and go when traffic starts moving. Shift into 2nd at like 2500rpm and CLUNK! car keeps going but drivetrain won't respond. I figure its the axles again but how would they snap with so low load? Checked them and both are good and still in one piece. I was kinda hoping it would be the axles cause atleast i'd know what it was.
    Prior symptoms:
    - When going from a dead stop(just easing into forward motion not racing at all) it felt like the tranny shifted back when the clutch engaged. Almost like a quick movement. Figured it was just harsh engagement
    - When idling and in neutral the tranny "clatters". When the clutch was depressed it went away, let it out and it came back. I figured it was just the unsprung clutch's side effects.

Things i checked over after breakdown:
    - axles...grabbed them and jerked them around...they stayed in place
    - checked flywheel for teeth by pulling out service plug...pressure plate seems to be in good order from the little i could see.
    - checked to make sure shifter still went into "gear" and make sure the shifter didn't just flop around like it was disconnected
    - Checked to make sure clutch pedal pressure was normal...it is

Current symptoms:
    - car can't move under its own power
    - grinding sound coming from tranny when engine is shut down
    - grinding sound when engine starts up
    - stranded on the side of the road very much in danger of being broken into

Something tells me i'll be dropping the tranny when i get it towed home..BIG ...REALLY BIG

Mods to drivetrain:
    exedy stage 3 6 puck clutch with heavy duty pressure plate
    Stock lightened flywheel (16lbs.)
    50W oil for tranny fluid
    new throwout bearing
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

so like.. it was bound to happen..?? lol..

ur tranny does have alot of miles on it.. 18x?? right?? well add 8-10psi.. and some abuse.. and shits bound to go bad..

regardless.. the clatter your talking about is what i think i have.. its clutch related IMO..

When idling and in neutral the tranny "clatters". When the clutch was depressed it went away, let it out and it came back. I figured it was just the unsprung clutch's side effects.

i have the same problem.. when u engage and disengage the clutch.. so i dont think its due to the amount of power u have put on the tranny.. it may very well be something going on with the clutch/flywheel??? i dunno.. but if ur dropping it.. maybe its time to upgrade..

h23 tranny j00

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Midnight: Hope this helps... it's from my text book on automotive tech.
      In relation to clutches, here is some noise related shit:
      (from the book...) "Start your noise analysis by starting the engine with the manual tranny in neutral and the clutch enguaged (foot off the clutch pedal). If you hear a growl or grinding noise, the cause is the input shaft bearing in the tranny.
      If you are hearing a chirping noise, slowly depress the clutch pedal. If the noise stops, the problem is lack of lubrication at the fork and pivot. If the noise gets louder as you depress the clutch, the throwout (release ) bearingg is the problem.
      The piolet bearing is the cause of a squealing noise if the sound changes as the clutch pedal is depressed or released. The sound will be loudest when the differance in speed between the engine and the input shaft is greatest."
      I hope this helps some. Mean while, I'll research your problems and try to find better solutions!
      Nova: A star that suddenly increases it's light output tremendously and then fades away to its former obscurity in a few months or years.

Supernova: One of the rarely observed nova outbursts in which the maximum intrinsic luminosity may reach 100 million times that of the sun.

Comment

Oh yeah, the torsional dampers in the clutch could be worn, you know, the springs in the clutch friction disc...
        Nova: A star that suddenly increases it's light output tremendously and then fades away to its former obscurity in a few months or years.

Supernova: One of the rarely observed nova outbursts in which the maximum intrinsic luminosity may reach 100 million times that of the sun.

Comment

I don't think i have torsional dampers...the clutch doesn't have any springs in it and those are considered the torsional dampers, right?. Its not a chirping sound but rather a "clatter" or "clacking" sound which i don't remember if its still does it since the break down. Hopefully its something easy...hopefully its another axle (which it won't be). I also don't think i'll come across a h23 tranny that easily. Besides i don't want days or weeks of downtime trying to get one here.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=493655

9 posts down, dudes names is Dirk Starsken, the owner and founder of ACT. He explains what seems to be what u guys are talking about (chatter, torsional dampening). I know this doesn't help U specifically midnite, but i thought the info was helpful since my HDSS w/ Streetlite set-up seems to be doing the same thing and i don't need to be on the side if the road nahmean. Hope this helps.
            Bean Town Crew Member #3
            Lovin' the 6MT w/ Nav TL!
            "They Aint the REAL McCOY!"

Comment

preciate phenom

Update: car is at the house now thanx to alex...got it there for free too. I'll start the teardown later this afternoon. I hate dropping trannies so i'm not gonna rush to do this

Comment

Midnight: Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Midnight: Check your input shaft and counter shaft...

Comment

damn thats fucked up id just get it rebuilt and checked out if its not that bad. thats what i did and im lovin it ever since when i had my whole engine built but ohwell good luck and get it back on the road asap.

Comment

had some things come up...won't be able to get to the car tonight...tomorrow tho

Comment

Hey Midnight, the reason I say to check your input and counter shafts is because the A.S.E. certified tech I keep talking about at work looked at your first post on this thread yesterday at work, and those are the two things he said to check. That's why I was so breif yesterday... I was at work! But check it out and keep us posted!

Comment

yea i had another friend suggest the prob was the input shaft also...it'll be about friday or saturday till i know somethin i'm just gonna take my time getting this out or i'll get burned out and grab the sledge hammer I hope it doesn't need a complete rebuild

Comment

Well, good luck! Don't get burned out... That could be bad!
                            Friday is my last day of collage for a month, so it will be difficult for me to keep up with everyone for about a month. Jan. the 10th is or first day back from Xmas break, so everyone bare with me! Hope to post a bit more before Friday, but I will be back! Good luck, Midnight. I will try to check in when possiable to see how things are going!

Comment

If it's going to cost too much to rebuild, why not look into a h23 transaxle? I think the average price for one is around $450 at least in my area. This would/should be a stronger transaxle then the F22....or you could just get another F22 transaxle for even cheaper....but I figure since your turbo, you'd want something stronger.
                              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                              X