Crazy wierd problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy wierd problem

I just picked up an Integra that acts real dumb. First off it wont idle below half a tank, you have to keep it revved up or else it will cut off and wont come back on. But I tried a few tricks and if you turn the key to the on position and wait for the beeping to stop it will crank up. Main relay anybody? I hear it, and feel it clicking, but when I opened it up I kinda smelled like burnt circuit board but I am not real sure.

But when it gets really below half a tank like 1/4 it will half ass run like its not getting enough fuel or like you ran out of gas. Eventually it will just die on you in the middle of driving then crank up a minute later. You put gas in it and it will run ok. I just find it weird because I have never heard anything like this before. But the first time it died I relieved the pressure in the tank and it ran ok afterwards and then it died once again.

A friend of mine told me its possible that there is a kink in the fuel line but it just doesnt seem possible. I was also told that there is a resistor box under the seat that could be the culprit of this entire mess that it is going through. Has anybody ever heard of this problem?

Anybody got any ideas?

Comment

I wish I could help but I have no clue man.

Comment

The fuel pressure is at 40 when the pump is pumping and 35 when its freshly pressurized. Something is causing a fuck up somewhere and I cant find it. I guess I will drive the car until I get below a half tank again and see what the guage reads. I have done alot of things to it today and its running a little bit better. I just need to check the belt timing and the o2 sensor next. I just wish I could figure out why it acts slutty like it does.

Comment

Sounds like you need a new gas cap. I had this happen to me once. The vent in the cap went bad and was causing a vacuum in the tank when it got around 1\2 tank. The pump could not pressurize properly. I change the cap and problem solved.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

I would also visually inspect the bottom of the gas tank.

I've seen a car with a dented gas tank that happened to be located under the fuel pump. It caused the car to run out of fuel, when the fuel gauge said it was not empty. The owner thought it was a bad fuel pump, already bought it an everything. All it needed was a tank removal and dent to be banged out, reinstalled and it ran fine.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Hmmm thats something I should look at as well. But we are going to drop the gas tank anyway because we felt around under there and found a broken hose. Im sure it was the vapor hose but we are going to drop the tank and make sure that thing is connected back up like it should and we will also replace that gas cap.

Comment

I think we have it figured. The vapor line is definately broken on the gas tank is causing our problem. Now we just need to find out why its cutting off on us in the middle of traffic.

Comment

i sold one of these cars recently and the woman broght it back to me for the similar issuses. i couln't find anything, checked grounds and power and cleaned the batt terminals.
                  the distributor failed the following day.

hope this helps

chris
                  96 Accord SiR driveline installed. CF2 donar

Comment

I hope its just a defective dizzy.

Comment

fuel pressure or fuel pump

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Yea the sad thing is the fuel pressure is great when it starts to act up a little bit and the fuel pump is new. I havent had time to drop the fuel tank because of the rain. We talked to a guy that went to Honda school and said that 90% of the time that is the problem and we need to fix that little red hose.

Comment

Fixed it!!! We dropped the tank to find another fuel pump sock floating around in there. We compared the sock floating around to the one installed on the pump itself and the one on the pump was about an inch long as the one floating around in the tank was about 6 inches long. Somehow this was causing problems. The new pump compared to my used pump I had was much smaller too.

Comment

Working...
                          X