speedo not working and cel light on HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo not working and cel light on HELP

ok so about an hour ago i was driving to work.. and as i was exiting the freeway the check engine light came on.. i turned it off and turned it back on and my girlfriend noticed my speedo wasnt working its thr mph one.. and the last few days my speedo has been jumping around from 60-80.. i have an f23 manual trans with the f22a vss and its manual.. thr check engine light doesnt turn on when the car is idle but it turns on during driving and when i stop at a light the idle drops low.. but when i turn the car off then on the cel goes away idle goes fine but speedo still doesnt work.. can someone help me please.. btw my cluster is still working everywhere else.. and i have 91 sedan ex manual with f23 tranny.. please help me thanks.. and ive benn sitting in my car for about 10 minutes now with it turned on and the cel light wont turn on..?????
    MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

1991 Honda Accord EX - MY NEW ONE
    1991 Honda Accord LX - Impounded and GONE
    1993 Honda Accord EX H22 - SOLD

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

sounds like your speed sensor is bad or broken, this is very popular with most accords now a days.. idk why tho I've seen speedometers where the mph don't work but everything else does, that was electrical.. but most the time when somethings wrong with the speedometer it's the speed sensor and if you replace it and it still don't work it's electrical

Originally posted by Juice21
    thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
    Originally posted by GameChewer
    Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

damn i hope its not electrical.. anyone else have any help or thoughts about this? thanks breeziebaby.. btw nice cb
      MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

Comment

Speed sensor is the easiest to change if its a known good one. It takes two drive cycles for the CEL to engage that the Speedo is not owrking.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

what do u mean? two drive cycles?
          MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

Comment

anyone else? and what does two drive cycles mean concerning the vss
            MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

Comment

yeah def. sounds like VSS. When I first swapped my 5spd from auto, I didn't have a VSS on the trans, I kinda rigged up a B series for the drive home til I found the right one and only my speedo wasn't working, the rest of the gauges worked fine. So i'm pretty sure thats your issue. Did you run the CEL yet? That'll tell you for sure.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

well i havent checked the cel but i got a vss
                MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

Comment

How can i check the cel btw.. since when i turn my car on it doesnt have the cel unless i drive the car and i let off the gas and stop thats when the cel will turn on
                  MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

Comment

Originally posted by CB7xTURBO View Post
                    How can i check the cel btw.. since when i turn my car on it doesnt have the cel unless i drive the car and i let off the gas and stop thats when the cel will turn on
                    once the CEL turns on, there's gonna be a blue connector near the passenger footwell. You're going to have to remove this triangular shaped plastic panel that clips in vertically just inside of the door. Then you'll see a blue plug. Simply short the plug with a wire and that'll allow the CEL to blink and give you the code number.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

'04 member doesnt know how to check a CEL?

you got a part without even knowing the problem. This is amazing.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                      X