rattle near/below the T-belt cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattle near/below the T-belt cover

i'm getting a rattling noise during cold start-ups and it sounds like something might be bouncing around near or below the T-belt cover. anyone ever had an issue like this only when it's cold and warming up?

try the tbelt cover bolts, make sure its not the cover just rattling...

get a stethoscope too, they help pinpoint squeaks, rattles, and whining noises
    i got a cheap one at harbor freight, works good

Comment

Last time I heard a noise around the timing belt cover it ended up being the crank walk. It could be just your timing belt is loose and you may need to tighten it. I would take a few hours to inspect.

Comment

Check your crank pulley, there is a rubber dampener ring that holds its 2 pcs together, I have seen them crack and separate. You'll get a dead battery after that since alternator will stop rotating and potential block damage, if it gouges it while rotating. Remember our cars have been around a LONG time.

Also, how long have you been running the current timing belt tensioner pulley? They can last 200K miles, then I replace. Basically, replace every other timing belt job. Same question/replacement interval for your balance shaft belt tensioner pulley, you can remove this balance shaft belt and still operate motor, if noise goes away then you know what component is damaged.

I would also inspect timing belt tension. Maybe your adjuster nut backed off, was not torqued properly. Maybe you have a worn timing belt, that should already have been replaced?
        Last edited by HondaFan81; 10-20-2009, 01:30 PM.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
          Check your crank pulley, there is a rubber dampener ring that holds its 2 pcs together, I have seen them crack and separate. You'll get a dead battery after that since alternator will stop rotating and potential block damage, if it gouges it while rotating. Remember our cars have been around a LONG time.

Also, how long have you been running the current timing belt tensioner pulley? They can last 200K miles, then I replace. Basically, replace every other timing belt job. Same question/replacement interval for your balance shaft belt tensioner pulley, you can remove this balance shaft belt and still operate motor, if noise goes away then you know what component is damaged.

I would also inspect timing belt tension. Maybe your adjuster nut backed off, was not torqued properly. Maybe you have a worn timing belt, that should already have been replaced?
          thanks for the info, im going to check behind the t-belt covers asap. i was trying to pin-point the sound again today, and when i stuck my ear near the t-belt cover, i didn't hear the rattle as loudly. now it sounds more like it's coming from between the head and the intake manifold. i need to take another look at it again. maybe i can make a video and hopefully catch the sound in it

Comment

more of a low deep tone?
            MadLab Racing
            Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
              more of a low deep tone?
              i wouldn't say low/deep. sounds like a nut/bolt rattling around, or something loose maybe. it's not a consistent sound, it comes and goes, but once the engine is warmed up, it is alot quieter

Comment

Check your front balance shaft pulley. I had a rattling sound for the longest time but sounded like it was coming from the head until the pulley fell off because of improper torque. Shredded my Honda timing belts too, but thats my fault.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                  Check your front balance shaft pulley. I had a rattling sound for the longest time but sounded like it was coming from the head until the pulley fell off because of improper torque. Shredded my Honda timing belts too, but thats my fault.
                  i'll look into that as well, thanks for the input

Comment

well, today it happened. i got to my parking spot at the train station and when i got out to leave, i see coolant dripping under the car from the t-belt cover. looks like i need a water pump.

the car is now sitting in the driveway, dripping away coolant. gotta order the pump, belts, tensioners, etc...

Comment

Glad it wasnt the crank walk!!!

I thought they would usually make a squealing noise but I guess its a rattle. Have fun with that timing belt and make sure everything is good and tight especially the crank pulley. Also see if you can located the crank pulley tool, it will make your life NOT a living hell so try and get that tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                        Glad it wasnt the crank walk!!!

I thought they would usually make a squealing noise but I guess its a rattle. Have fun with that timing belt and make sure everything is good and tight especially the crank pulley. Also see if you can located the crank pulley tool, it will make your life NOT a living hell so try and get that tool.
                        well, it was more of a rattle. but today it was abnormally loud and squealish. i probably shouldnt have even driven it to the train station. it didnt get that loud until i JUST pulled in to park

Comment

timing belt and water pump was done yesterday and the noise is gone. the bearing inside the water pump pulley was wiped out. i was lucky to have gotten it back in time before it was catastrophic. the engine runs nice and smooth now another 90K to go

Comment

Working...
                          X