Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant over flowing (could be force induction related???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant over flowing (could be force induction related???)

What do u all think…
    My over flow coolant tank keeps over flowing, there’s no leaks anywhere, and all the coolant hoses are fine.
    Im thinking it’s the thermostat….i just changed it because the previous one was shot to hell, but now im boosting and I think because this thermostat is stock (around 180-190 degrees), its not opening fast enuff to cool the motor sense its making almost double the power now. So I brought a Jackson racing 160degree thermostat.

Another guy on HMT said it might be the headgaskets shot…..
    I mean theres not mixture in the oil, no white smoke and the car doesn’t over heat, I drove the car for 80 miles + in rush hour traffic one night and it was fine. It only does it when I get on the car hard (like gunning it).

So what do u all think…just wanted to get some views to get my brains flowing.
    Either way its gona be fixed and its not a big issue being as tho the cars not a daily driver
    NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Maybe you just put too much coolant to begin with? that might be the reason it's pooring that out. If your radiator is full then you just put too much coolant?
    Originally posted by rickyduckworth
    i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

well checked my oil...no signs of head gasket.
      drove her around for a while was fine, just temp needle went up a lil, but no where near Hot.
      over flow tank filled up also, but also i notice that the top hose and top portion of the radiator was hot while the bottom hose and portion of the radiator was cool, like the car hadn't even been drove.

im thinking thermostat issue now or cold be because i accidently crushed some of the radiator fins in around the top part of the radiator.

so im a replace the radiator (have an extra one thats 7 months old) thermostat, and top hose. and see what from there
      NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

Does heat blow out when you cut on the heater?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
          Sounds like a blown headgasket. Any oil in the coolant?

nope just said no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil.

and yes heat blows fine.

like i said, car doesnt over heat just goes up a lil but then drops and stays in the normal spot, but the over flow tanks filled and the top hose is hot but bottom hose is cold
          NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

here is a test for the thermostat...

warm up the car, let it idle for like 7 minutes...then feel the top radiator hose IT SHOULD BE HOT

then feel the lower LONG one and if it is cold then your thermostat is bad...

i usually go to the dealer for the thermostats, for some reason aftermarket ones have thinner springs and always fail on me...plus its not expensive
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Did you check your radiator cap?

Comment

you may also check if the fans are turning on and just to make sure try to bleed the system of air. Don't forget the bleeder screw.

Comment

thanks guys, i checked ll, that and brought a new cap.
                  i ran the thermostat test, and thats what i think it is.....
                  like i said the top hose and top portion of the radiator is HOT, while the lower portion and lower hose on the radiator is COLD.
                  i think because the cars no where near stock anymore and because when i drive it i really get on it hard, the stock thermostat didnt hold up as well because the motors producing more heat faster then normal.
                  so im a wait til my 160 degree thermostat come in and see how she does, ill keep everyone updated, thanks again.
                  NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

same problem except my temp gauge never does anything funny. I'll do all the checks listed in here. Theo where did u buy the 165 degree thermostat?
                    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

got it at summitracing.com

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...24500&x=16&y=8

i think its page 13, but try pages 11-14 its the one for a Honda 1.6
                      it will fit our cars, i did the research for the stock thermostat and they both have the same part numbers, which means same part, so it'll fit
                      NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

Man...they sure do serve it to u nice and juicy with that damn shipping charge don't they lol. Regardless, i ordered the same part, hope it works out for the two of us. You said your fans still turn on by themselves right?

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

i know right...lol
                          but yeah the fans turn on fine
                          2 things im getting from everyone are Thermostat and or head gasket, so u know im a try the easiest first. i mean im not getting any type of headgasket symptoms.

before i install the thermostat im a flush the system also, hasnt had that done sense i brought the car (3 years ago) so who knows when the last owner did it.
                          Last edited by theone; 12-21-2004, 11:49 AM.
                          NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

also i notice yesterday when i start the car and let it warm up for a good while, the coolant didnt move, it stayed at the cap area, even when i gave it some throttle, it moved then came right back, spitting and going into the over flow tank.
                            so i think the thermostats not working properly.

which way is the coolant circlation???
                            is it from.....

top hose....to thru motor......to bottom hose, back into radiator???
                            NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

i flushed mine in february, but i'll do it again too and use 30% antifreeze and 70% water this time. Maybe even add in a water additive

*edit* idunno which way it flows
                              Last edited by MRX; 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X