auto tranny fluid checks...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto tranny fluid checks...???

can anyone tell me what's the proper way on checking the auto tramission fluid? with the motor running or off? any information would be much appreciated - thanks.

You check the ATF with the engine on, but be careful when going for that dipstick. I think honda designed it's spot to be in a place where you burn yourself EVERY TIME!

But hey, shit happens.

In case you don't know where the dipstick is (I can't see why you wouldn't, BUT!) stand to the right of your passenger headlight, but not in the middle, and look down. It's towards the bottom of the car and the stick is short, so take whatever precautions.
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found the dipstick ok - I actually found the manual in the car and it has a nice diagram on there too. The manual says turn it off and check. But alot of peeps telling me to check it while its on. But I took your advise. Thanks man.

Comment

lol some say do it while the car i on. some say turn the car on. let it warm on(tillt he fans come on) then turn it off then check it. i did the first part for a while. now i am doing the second part. to mee they all show the same thing. same oil in the dep stick.
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

you check it with the car off...one time my friend told me to check it with it on, and i did, and it showed nothing on the stick!!! but then i read the manual and it said to check it with the engine off....and when i did that, it showed full. which makes sense because when you check it with it off, all/most of the fluid is at the bottem, where it should be when checking. course now my auto sits at home in the totalled cb7 and now i drive a 5-speed
          Seattle Silver crew #5
          Member of the Midwest Car Club.
          ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

thanks thanks for all the info. now i know when to check it.

Comment

I have officially been corrected. I guess it's different ways for different cars. With my parents suburban, you check whilst the engine is running. But again, different company, different instructions.
              Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
              D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
              ┴─┴
              ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune
                You check the ATF with the engine on
                Most cars yes, but not Hondas. Check it just like you check the oil
                00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
                X