Engine Cuts Out Randomly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Cuts Out Randomly...

My daughter is driving my hand me dowm 1991 Accord. It runs like a tank, but she just told me the engine cuts out at random times every few days. She says it starts right back up (while she's in gear and moving ) and she off on her merry way.

I don't have time to drive and diagnose it so what could be some of the reasons?

Tom

EGR Port Cleaning http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

im not sure how simialer this is to a 91 eclipse but i had a 91 eclipse and i would be driving and the rpms would drop to 0 and stall out and i got it to start but after a while it stopped starting i think i fucked it up but what ended up being the problem was the ecu so i would suggest to look into that just take it out and see if any CAPS are leaking thats where i would stat from my experince with my old eclipse

Comment

Leave the ECU alone, mitsubishi problems are not related to common problems with accords.

check the map sensor, o2 sensor, and it may be worth doing a tune up (cap rotor wires and plugs)

it is also possible that the main relay or fuel pump is having intermittent issues.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
      member ride thread
      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
        Leave the ECU alone, mitsubishi problems are not related to common problems with accords.

check the map sensor, o2 sensor, and it may be worth doing a tune up (cap rotor wires and plugs)

it is also possible that the main relay or fuel pump is having intermittent issues.
        thanls for clearing that up and that why i said im not sure how similar it is and thks for not being an asshole about that to

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

A little more info, she just got home, the blower fan for the A/C and Heating stop when this happens, but the radio keeps going.
          It hasn't happened at night yet, so I don't know if the dashlights and headlights cutout.

Tom

Comment

if the tach jumps right before the car dies, then its distributor related, most likely the ignitor unit.

If the car has difficulty starting, or you don't hear a "click" when you turn the key, then one of the connections of the main relay is faulty. You can fix this by resoldering them though, there's a DIY on here on how to do it.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              if the tach jumps right before the car dies, then its distributor related, most likely the ignitor unit.
              I asked what happens when it happening or just before it happens and she said the tack jumps up. So the ignitor unit, is that just the coil or is there something called the ignitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Later2u View Post
                I asked what happens when it happening or just before it happens and she said the tack jumps up. So the ignitor unit, is that just the coil or is there something called the ignitor?
                It looks like a little gameboy game from back in the day; about the size of a business card but more of a square and I'd say a 1/4 to 1/2" thick, has 3 or 4 wires that crimp onto it w/ those little tabs. Its held in the distributor by 2 phillips heads screws. But be careful, those two screws can be a bitch to get out and may strip easily. I would mark the distributor where it was and then take it off the cyl. head and then try and get those out.

The coil if its internal is MUCH bigger in size compared to the ignitor. Or if you have the external coil version, usually on 92-93' engines, then it'll have a shorty spark plug wire coming out of it going to the distributor cap. Either case, that's not what's causing the issues so don't replace those.

this should help. In the following pic in the link, its part number 1. When you get a new one, try to get one w/o the heatsink if you can. That'll probably double the price of the unit.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...1%29+%28TEC%29
                Last edited by Losiracer2; 07-07-2010, 02:16 AM.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks for the info Losiracer2. I appreciate it.

Comment

Losi is pretty accurate but this sounds like the dizzy to me. Went bad on me in my last accord and I had the same exact problem. Went to pull the cap off at one point and it crumbled in my hand That was just the cap though. After much troubleshooting I ended up replacing the whole thing and the car went right back to working like a champ (complete with misfire at idle! )
                    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                    ┴─┴
                    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

mine did this when i got it. the ignitor and coil were bad. replace both at the same time.
                      COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                        mine did this when i got it. the ignitor and coil were bad. replace both at the same time.
                        And since it's a 91 with no external coil, might as well replace the whole dizzy.
                        Sig removed due to excessive size.

Comment

^yes. wouldn't hurt to replace the distributor, and most of the spark/ignition components related to the dizzy as well. Not trying to lead you on a wild goose chase to spend money, but honestly this is one of the biggest issues with CB's thus known.

life is good.

Comment

this is true on a 91.
                            COUPE K24

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone. Turns out it was the ignition switch that was going bad.

Replaced it and everything is good to go. Next time something creeps up concerning the ignition, I'll focus more on the distributor.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X